none
Incremental BMR RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that DPM BMR has always sent the entire BMR backup to the remote share on DPM. I was wondering if there is any work underway to make the DPM BMR backup incremental in nature. The existing BMR doesn't work for remote servers (read, servers with limited bandwidth).  Other than this weakness, DPM is a great product and we'd like to deploy it on all the remote servers we support.

Anyone know if this feature is anywhere on the planning horizon?

Rob

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know there is no work being done to change this, however reducing the frequency of BMR backups and only protecting SystemState are valid workarounds. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 23, 2014 8:55 PM
  • Friday, May 30, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Mike,

I'm not sure that is a true "answer" to the question.  The System State is typically pretty big too.  I agree it might be the only viable workaround at this time.

Rob

Friday, May 30, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Seidl,

I've tested that method before and didn't have any luck.  Do you know if the method has been tested to do the actual BMR restore from DPM?  In addition, it isn't clear where that image capture showing the data transfer is from.  DPM does not report the amount of data that is transferred in a BMR backup and the BMR backup doesn't generate logs like that in the Windows Backup UI.

Worth a try...but I think the verification that BMR recovery still works and that the actual amount of data for a BMR backup is impacted.

Has anyone tried and verified that approach that is willing to post their results?

Rob

Friday, May 30, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Like described in this article, i tried it and it is working.

After the changes, the first backup will be the same like before, the second on ist incremental

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Saturday, May 31, 2014 11:54 AM
  • Where are you getting the amount of data transferred?  DPM doesn't report that for BMR backups.

Rob

Saturday, May 31, 2014 12:33 PM
  • Never mind, I see you can get it from the Windows Backup on the server.  I'll give it a go, thanks for the tip!  I'm testing with a VM so I'll try the BMR restore process too.

Thanks for the lnk to the article.

Rob

Saturday, May 31, 2014 12:52 PM
  • And you can get it from the Joblist in DPM, here is a column with transferred MB

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:25 PM
  • The joblist shows a "-" for data transferred for BMR.  I was able to run the BMR with the "optimize" settings which did only send the incremental data.  I was able to restore that BMR to a VHD and am testing a restore to a VM.  I see no reason it will not work since the VHD was properly created.

There is shadow copy space used on the source server, of course, since that is how the backup is tracking incremental changes.  Not a big deal though...better than sending the entire BMR every time.

Assume the BMR restore went properly unless I post an issue here.  Thanks for the info!

Rob

Saturday, May 31, 2014 2:06 PM
  • I tested this with a physical machine instead of just a VM. The BMR worked.  And my second BMR backup only transferred 200MB instead of 20GB! Thanks for the tip...I'm frankly surprised it was that easy.

Rob

Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:41 PM