Windows 8 & touchpad RRS feed

• Question

• This problem is driving me crazy. This is germane to Windows 8. When I scroll on the touch pad to the left the CLOCK appears in the lower left-hand corner and the menu appears on the right side of the screen. Watching the Windows 8 tutorial it told me that the only way for these two things too happen was to put the cursor in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Why is this happening, and how do I stop it. The right corner thing is acceptable to me, but the scroll left thing is just stupid. 
    Friday, May 31, 2013 5:38 PM

Answers

• Why is this happening, and how do I stop it. The right corner thing is acceptable to me, but the scroll left thing is just stupid. 

You are thinking that your Touchpad is just a mouse but evidently it has been enhanced with Touch Gestures.   So, it depends on the Properties of the Touchpad and the version of the software installed to support it.   E.g. if it is Synaptics you can see from the latest Release notes that there is a continuum of changing functionality regarding its "swipe" simulation.

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/can-we-disable-the-charms-bar-in-windows-8/292abaea-d0f7-42a2-b33c-0a97db56adde

My suggestion would be to turn off your Touchpad entirely most of the time and get a real mouse.   Even the new MS Arc Touch Mouse doesn't do this but does enable other nice Touch related functionality.   Then, when you really wanted to experiment with a simulation of Touch using a remote device (e.g. trying to synchronize your finger motions without having much of a clue about where your Touch pointer is on your display) you could re-enable your Touchpad and all of its Touch Gestures (or however many of them that you wanted to try to use, including swiping which I think might actually be the most useful Touch Gesture of all, provided you aren't thinking of your Touchpad as a mouse.)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:47 AM
    Sunday, June 9, 2013 7:13 PM

All replies

• What is language of your Windows?

It could be something with setting of your mouse, open mouse setting and check it out.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Why is this happening, and how do I stop it. The right corner thing is acceptable to me, but the scroll left thing is just stupid. 

You are thinking that your Touchpad is just a mouse but evidently it has been enhanced with Touch Gestures.   So, it depends on the Properties of the Touchpad and the version of the software installed to support it.   E.g. if it is Synaptics you can see from the latest Release notes that there is a continuum of changing functionality regarding its "swipe" simulation.

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/can-we-disable-the-charms-bar-in-windows-8/292abaea-d0f7-42a2-b33c-0a97db56adde

My suggestion would be to turn off your Touchpad entirely most of the time and get a real mouse.   Even the new MS Arc Touch Mouse doesn't do this but does enable other nice Touch related functionality.   Then, when you really wanted to experiment with a simulation of Touch using a remote device (e.g. trying to synchronize your finger motions without having much of a clue about where your Touch pointer is on your display) you could re-enable your Touchpad and all of its Touch Gestures (or however many of them that you wanted to try to use, including swiping which I think might actually be the most useful Touch Gesture of all, provided you aren't thinking of your Touchpad as a mouse.)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:47 AM
    Sunday, June 9, 2013 7:13 PM
  • come on, are you serious? in other words, the Microsoft enhancement Needs you to disable the touchpad and get a mouse?

i like the multitouch functions of the touchpad, for example pinch zoom or two finger scroll. but who would Need that 'swipe in from the right'-Feature to open the charms bar.. it would not be bad if the recognition worked better but in my case the charms bar Pops in as soon as i move my finger to the left.

i work with a Lenovo w510 by the way. i use a dual boot configuration with Windows 7 and Windows 8 and the Windows 7 Driver works like a charm. i'll try to downgrade the Driver.

Stefan Gabriel

Friday, August 2, 2013 10:06 AM
  • in other words, the Microsoft enhancement Needs you to disable the touchpad and get a mouse?

No.  Just that I think using a real mouse is a more pleasant experience than using a Touchpad, especially one which is trying to simulate a remote Touchscreen experience--especially one which doesn't even try to compensate by giving you a clue about where the Touch pointer would be and even worse allows an implied tap instead of an explicit click once the mouse pointer is shown.

i like the multitouch functions of the touchpad, for example pinch zoom or two finger scroll. but who would Need that 'swipe in from the right'-Feature to open the charms bar.. it would not be bad if the recognition worked better but in my case the charms bar Pops in as soon as i move my finger to the left.

Right.  You're complaining about one of your Touchpad's simulated Touch screen features.  That problem does not exist on a real Touchscreen, using a real mouse or even using a pen, just on a Touchpad where there is no awareness of simulated position and no control of that part of the simulation.  E.g. if your Touchpad would give you a "zone" so that you could not do a swipe from either edge but just showed you a mouse pointer there and didn't do "tap to click" anywhere you could still do your other Touch screen emulated features more in the middle of the screen.

i work with a Lenovo w510 by the way.

So that's a version of Synaptics?  Which version of device and which version of software?

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-performance/exe-thumbnail-view-made-cpu-to-100-on-useand/8fbd508c-76f5-4504-8935-6f8af824649d?msgId=87d0dd1f-ea5f-4a30-8c66-bfe81820027a

i'll try to downgrade the Driver.

Or try a real mouse for most of your pointer and clicking requirements?  (FWIW if you are concerned about portability I can recommend MS Arc Touch mouse but I prefer my MS Comfort 5000 (wireless). The main reason I don't use my Touchpad though is that my Tablet is most often docked in slate mode.  <w>) 

HTH
    Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:35 PM
  • i am aware that a touchpad is not a fully functional touchscreen replacement. i do rather expect my touchpad to simulate all gestures that are available from an Smartphone like android or ios devices. i was pretty happy with the earlier functions (move, scroll on the right side and rarely used even the pinch zoom).

i agree that it's a good Thing go bring in the charms bar when i swipe from the right side of a Touchscreen like for example the hp elitepad or similar devices. but: must a touchpad do the same? especially because it does not make sense to swipe from right to left to make the bar appear, but then i still have to swipe from left to the right to move my mouse to the Icons..

if the user would like to use a Touchscreen, (s)he would have bought one. if he likes to use a touchpad, let it be a touchpad then.

i do use an external mouse when working in the Office (Cherry Gentix as it is confortable and very precise) but when im working at a customer, in the car, at the Airport or a Restaurant i don't like bringing an external mouse. it would be very nice if those 'enhanced features' could be deactivated basically only the popping charms bar from the right side and the apps from the left side are interrupting.  

Name      : 4389BM1
    Version   : ThinkPad W510
    SKUNumber :
    UUID      : C0D0F0F5-A64F-E011-9912-899D99FABF84
    Vendor    : LENOVO

PSPath            : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\FileSystem::C:\windows\system32\drivers\syntp.sys
    PSParentPath      : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\FileSystem::C:\windows\system32\drivers
    PSChildName       : syntp.sys
    PSDrive           : C
    PSProvider        : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\FileSystem
    PSIsContainer     : False
    VersionInfo       : File:             C:\windows\system32\drivers\syntp.sys
                        InternalName:     SynTP
                        OriginalFilename: SynTP.sys
                        FileVersion:      16.2.19.7 17Apr13
                        FileDescription:  Synaptics Touchpad Driver
                        Product:          Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
                        ProductVersion:   16.2.19.7 17Apr13
                        Debug:            False
                        Patched:          False
                        PreRelease:       False
                        PrivateBuild:     False
                        SpecialBuild:     False
                        Language:         English (United States)

BaseName          : syntp
    Mode              : -a---
    Name              : syntp.sys
    Length            : 460528
    DirectoryName     : C:\windows\system32\drivers
    Directory         : C:\windows\system32\drivers
    IsReadOnly        : False
    Exists            : True
    FullName          : C:\windows\system32\drivers\syntp.sys
    Extension         : .sys
    CreationTime      : 24.04.2013 01:23:00
    CreationTimeUtc   : 23.04.2013 23:23:00
    LastAccessTime    : 24.04.2013 01:23:00
    LastAccessTimeUtc : 23.04.2013 23:23:00
    LastWriteTime     : 24.04.2013 01:23:00
    LastWriteTimeUtc  : 23.04.2013 23:23:00
    Attributes        : Archive
    the drivers were installed automaticly during setup (rather included in windows 8 or downloaded trough windows update.

Stefan Gabriel

Friday, August 2, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Sorry you missed my Oops to get the device info.

However, since then I have found an easier way, not requiring the use of PowerShell

E.g. if you only have one Synaptics device it could be as simple as:

wmic path Win32_PnPEntity where manufacturer='Synaptics' get /format:list

or more specifically

wmic path Win32_PnPEntity where manufacturer='Synaptics' get DeviceID

but for all I know if that one wasn't getting a match you might be getting one from its CompatibleID list.

Then perhaps I should be suggesting

wmic path Win32_PnPEntity where manufacturer='Synaptics' get DeviceID, PNPDeviceID, CompatibleID  /format:list

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 3, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Hi Robert

Seems like Synaptics provides only the Driver:

No Instance(s) Available.

but if i consult the device Manager it's registered as a Lenovo ultranav device. here the wmic Output:

Availability=
    Caption=ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device
    ClassGuid={4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    CompatibleID={"*PNP0F13"}
    ConfigManagerErrorCode=0
    ConfigManagerUserConfig=FALSE
    CreationClassName=Win32_PnPEntity
    Description=ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device
    DeviceID=ACPI\LEN0015\4&amp;145FACD0&amp;0
    ErrorCleared=
    ErrorDescription=
    HardwareID={"ACPI\VEN_LEN&amp;DEV_0015","ACPI\LEN0015","*LEN0015"}
    InstallDate=
    LastErrorCode=
    Manufacturer=Lenovo
    Name=ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device
    PNPDeviceID=ACPI\LEN0015\4&amp;145FACD0&amp;0
    PowerManagementCapabilities=
    PowerManagementSupported=
    Service=i8042prt
    Status=OK
    StatusInfo=
    SystemCreationClassName=Win32_ComputerSystem
    SystemName=SGNOTEBOOKW8

and might be this one as well:

Availability= Caption=Lenovo PM Device ClassGuid={4d36e97d-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} CompatibleID= ConfigManagerErrorCode=0 ConfigManagerUserConfig=FALSE CreationClassName=Win32_PnPEntity Description=Lenovo PM Device DeviceID=ACPI\IBM0068\5&amp;2890D699&amp;0 ErrorCleared= ErrorDescription= HardwareID={"ACPI\VEN_IBM&amp;DEV_0068","ACPI\IBM0068","*IBM0068"} InstallDate= LastErrorCode= Manufacturer=Lenovo Name=Lenovo PM Device PNPDeviceID=ACPI\IBM0068\5&amp;2890D699&amp;0 PowerManagementCapabilities= PowerManagementSupported= Service=IBMPMDRV Status=OK StatusInfo= SystemCreationClassName=Win32_ComputerSystem SystemName=SGNOTEBOOKW8

Stefan Gabriel

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:30 AM
  •  

Seems like Synaptics provides only the Driver

Ok.  In my case, the Tablet was made by HP, the Touchpad was made by Synaptics and the driver was supplied by Microsoft (so, some version of one of Synaptics' earlier ones).   I get to install and use one of the newer ones, e.g. one which has Touch Gestures Suite in it, only once.  That way I am at least familiar with the new options.  Then MS reverts to its choice and I'm back to a standard (emulated) mouse in my Touchpad.

You're lucky.  The catalog is searchable with those details you found

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=653a43f1-4f82-47d4-9faf-de2adf996cd9

(LEN0015)

and

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=d2ea7fb1-671a-498d-8b05-6097a75ee066

(IBM0068)

Looks as if those are the ones that you already have?   But do you get to see all of its documentation in the update that you get?   E.g. the ReleaseNotes and Help files?   Might help?   Looks like no ReleaseNotes but lots of help files.

Good luck
    Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:44 AM