Inbound Caller Id from Europe to US RRS feed

• Question

• An inbound call, from Europe to US through PSTN, goes through my gateway to Lync.  The Caller ID number from the PSTN is 33#########.  I would like Lync, or the gateway, to normalize that to E.164, but there is nothing from the PSTN to indicate it is an international call.  Suggestions?
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:34 PM

Answers

• John

Strictly speaking an inbound call for a US number should start with a 1 regardless of what is local and what is not but I know this is rarely the case with lot of telecom providers in the US. As much as a pain as it is you should work through this with your telco provider to make sure they are sending numbers in the correct format.

• Marked as answer by John Crouch Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:42 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 11:22 PM

All replies

• Does the caller ID of the international call show the country code e.g. 33 for France, 44 for UK? It should.

If so, you could create a rule to prepend a + to these numbers to normalise to E.164.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @justimorris
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Monday, July 2, 2012 7:38 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Hi,

Justin is right. Please check your Gateway has the option to add a + for the incoming number. In fact, incoming call will use the Dial Plan Globle Policy to change its number format(I have tested about it). So you also can create a Normalization Rule to add + for the incoming number.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 2, 2012 9:26 AM
  • I know all that.  How do I distinguish between a caller ID from the US, which I would add +1 to get E.164, and a call from international, which I would only add + to get E.164?
    Monday, July 2, 2012 11:06 PM
  • John

Strictly speaking an inbound call for a US number should start with a 1 regardless of what is local and what is not but I know this is rarely the case with lot of telecom providers in the US. As much as a pain as it is you should work through this with your telco provider to make sure they are sending numbers in the correct format.

• Marked as answer by John Crouch Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:42 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 11:22 PM
  • As a follow-up, my telco said they could not send Callerid for US numbers starting with a 1.  That seems pretty lame, but what I expect from a telco.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:03 PM