SCCM 2007 to 2012 Migration RRS feed

• Question

• We have started our SCCM 2007 Migration Project and are currently in installation phase.

Source SCCM 2007 Hierarchy consists of a central site, three Primay and two secondary sites.

In the Destination hierarchy, we have configured the CAS server and One Primary server. We are waiting to get the hardware for the other Primary server.

I have following questions.

1. Can I upgrade the existing SCCM 2007 DP to a SCCM 2012 Secondary site? If yes, where can I find the Procedure and where will it fit in the migration activity?
    2. On Technet, I read that we should not start the migration job as long as the whole destination hierarchy is set-up. I want to utilize Time and start converting our SCCM packages into SCCM applications using Package conversion Manager. Can I not do it parallel now? If yes, what is the procedure?

Please help.

Monday, April 25, 2016 1:36 PM

Answers

• > "In the Destination hierarchy, we have configured the CAS server and One Primary server. We are waiting to get the hardware for the other Primary server."

Why? Primary sites in 2012 are *not* the same thing as primary sites in 2007. Just because you had multiple primary sites in 2007 does not in any way mean that you should have them in 2012. For 99.9% of organizations, the only valid reason to have multiple primary sites is if you have 150,000+ systems to manage.

1. No. Why would you want to? Just because there are more clients doesn't mean you should just go to a secondary site.

2. Your time is better spent by designing the new hierarchy correctly by using a single primary site.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, April 25, 2016 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. why do you want to install CM 2012 secondary where in SCCM 2007 you have installed DP role?

2. My recommendation is do one by one, don't give unnecessary load to your CM servers

Kannan.CS | http://kannancs.wix.com/blog | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 25, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Thank you for replying Kannan.

1. Number of clients have increased in few remote locations where DPs were installed so we have proposed to have Secondary sites at those locations.
    2. May I know what do you mean by one by one?
    Monday, April 25, 2016 1:48 PM
  • > "In the Destination hierarchy, we have configured the CAS server and One Primary server. We are waiting to get the hardware for the other Primary server."

Why? Primary sites in 2012 are *not* the same thing as primary sites in 2007. Just because you had multiple primary sites in 2007 does not in any way mean that you should have them in 2012. For 99.9% of organizations, the only valid reason to have multiple primary sites is if you have 150,000+ systems to manage.

1. No. Why would you want to? Just because there are more clients doesn't mean you should just go to a secondary site.

2. Your time is better spent by designing the new hierarchy correctly by using a single primary site.

Monday, April 25, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Thank you, Jason. I agree with you however I have inherited an approved design which can't be changed.

A post suggested that if Clients are more than 500 it would be good to go for a SS rather than a DP.

Can I not start the migration of packages without setting up the other Primary site?

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:15 PM
  • > "Thank you, Jason. I agree with you however I have inherited an approved design which can't be changed."

*Everything* can be changed. Just because it was approved doesn't mean a bad choice should be implemented and this is a *bad* choice with *many* bad repercussions. As the technical "expert" you should absolutely be able to raise a red flag.

> "A post suggested that if Clients are more than 500 it would be good to go for a SS rather than a DP."

There's no such thing a hard number for the choice between the two. It's a relative and subjective scale and choice between the two and is based upon available bandwidth as well as usage also.

> "Can I not start the migration of packages without setting up the other Primary site?"

Yes, you can. Honestly though, the fact that you are asking this means you don't know what a primary site is for or what global data is in 2012 which is a red flag for me indicating you are in over head as well. 

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Dear Sir,

How many clients are managed now? If it's far less than 150,000, then a CAS is really over and it will definitely get you into various of troubles in the future and at last you'll decide to change back to one primary. One more recommend to reconsider the hierarchy.

Once your legacy packages have been migrated and you have installed the Package Conversion Manager utility, you can migrate them to applications in CM 12 using PCM 2.0.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configmgrdogs/2012/04/27/package-conversion-manager-pcm-in-configmgr-2012/

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by Frank Dong Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Thank you Frank, May I know what kind of trouble you are referring to? I have already installed the PCM on Primary server. Can I not setup the migration jobs until the whole hierarchy is setup?

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Dear Sir,

Data replication is one of the biggest trouble once replication encounter problem. Also performance will get affected, things become slower.

Yes, as Jason has answered before, you can do this.

Best regards

Frank.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:05 AM
  • I have raised the flag several Times.

About Bandwidth, these are remote sites with WAN links of 2 - 20 MBps.

Sorry, I was not born with SCCM Knowledge, am learning it and asking questions is never bad.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:13 PM
  • I concur, asking questions i great, but just like a doctor asking how a thermometer works, there is a certain level of knowledge you should have if you are going to get the results expected. I'm in no way bashing you or insulting you, just pointing out that in order to do a job correctly, you need to already have a level of knowledge and experience and ConfigMgr is certainly an example of this. OJT for deploying and managing a complex product like ConfigMgr and a migration is a recipe for disaster for you and your organization. 

Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:18 AM