how child domain to seperate forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone ,

im on task migrating users from forest to another , lets me explain the situation , here is scenarion: 

we have 1 forest which is included 3 child domain ,

forest : 

parent domain :  edu.contoso.com  (FSMO  FQDN  is   dc1.edu.contoso.com)

child domains are :   bbb.edu.contoso.com, ccc.edu.contoso.com, ddd.edu.contoso.com

----------

i have created another  fresh forest with single domain  edu.contoso.local

the deal is the migrate all resourse edu.contoso.com to edu.contoso.local

because the  "edu" netbios  (last label)  name is the same  with  edu.contoso.com and edu.contoso.local

i can't  create trust relation for ADMT process.. is there any solution for doing that?

---

so i plan:

1. intraforest migrate all resource to child domain  bbb.edu.contoso.com
    2. after all in placed bbb.edu.contoso.com , create two way  trust  edu.contoso.local with child domain bbb.edu.contoso.com (assume here Netbios name will 'bbb')
    3.  interforest migrate from bbb.edu.contoso.com to  edu.contoso.local

its my theory , is this scenario is possible in real world?

please advice right way in such situation ..

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You have to change "edu".

Please check the dns records for the trust relationship completely. Try connect to AD Users and Computer from between two trust.If yes, you will be success. And you need configure the forwarders for the name resolution. You can use the following guide :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770907.aspx

Alper YAZGAN *

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:50 AM
  • how can i change "edu"  if its  DNS label name for whole forest infrastructure? do you mean do it  'rendom' method?  

-

i have test it and i couldn't create trust  with bbb.edu.contoso.com to  edu.contoso.local  , becase bbb.edu.contoso.com is already trusted with  parent domain  edu.contoso.com (which is conflict again with 'edu') ..

maybe i should migrate all parent to child , broke the exist trust and create  bbb.edu.contoso.com  with  newly created  edu.contoso.local forest and start migrate?

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you can.

Alper YAZGAN *

Saturday, July 5, 2014 8:16 AM