How Do You Create a Process Account? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems getting replication to work in MSSQL 2005. I've create a publisher and subscriber, but when the subscriber is syncing with the publisher, I get the following error:

Agent message code 14080. The remote server "EPSTRM01" does not exist, or has not been designated as a valid Publisher, or you may not have permission to see available Publishers.

The options I used for the publisher are "run under the SQL Server Agent Service account" and "impersonate the process account". I would like to create Process Account to run under Snapshot Agent Security, but I'm not able to get anything working here. How do I create a process account?

Thanks.

Johan Cyprich

Saturday, October 9, 2010 12:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Johan,

From the error message, it seems that the snapshot agent is not properly configured. Snapshot agent account has to have permission to connect to the publisher and distributor database.

The Windows account (also referred to as the process account) under which the Snapshot Agent runs at the Distributor must at minimum be a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the distributor database; and have write permission on the snapshot share.

The Windows account (process account) or SQL Server account used for connecting to the publisher must at minimum be a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the publication database.

For more information about how to configure Snapshot Agent Security, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186515.aspx.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:38 AM