locked
Updating / Integrating MDT 8443 with SCCM 1610 - OSDJoinPassword variable stop working RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I updated MDT 8443 and integrated it with SCCM 1610 following this article.

    • https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/12852-how-can-i-upgrade-to-system-center-2012-r2-sp1-with-mdt-2013-update-1-integrated/

    Then I recreated my task sequence that was working before. (MDT Toolkit and Boot image were also recreated)

    My main issue is the OSDJoinPassword variable that is no longer works for the UDI wizard.

    Instead of automaticcaly complete the password for the defined account to join the computer to the domain like it did before, I only got 1 character.

    According to this  : https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2010/04/26/dumping-task-sequence-variables/

    I am able to see the OSDJoinPassword variable and it contain de right value (password).

    I did many things.  

    I deleted and recreated the Task sequence viriable.

    I created a new XML (UDI Wizard)

    Finally, I got it working bye adding a " (Quotation marks) for the first caracter of the OSDJoinPassword variable.   Of course, I had to change the password for my user too.

    Any ideas?

    Am i missing something?

    Thank you

    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:52 PM

Answers

  • Found the solution here : 

    MDT 2013 update 2 UDI wizard - domain join credentials issue

    In the UDI Wizard, under the User Name Text Box, I needed to change from domain\user to  fqdn of the domain\user (ex:   users.contoso.com\user1)

    and also modify the %OSDJoinPassword% to something else like : %OSDJoinPassword_1% :

    OSDJoinPassword_1

    Save and update your MDT Tookit package.

    Don't forget to modify the task sequence too with the new variable name.

    It should now works.

    Thanks




    • Marked as answer by edrouin Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:12 PM
    • Edited by edrouin Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:10 PM

All replies

  • Hello

    You have to remember that UDI isn't really part of MDT, it uses ConfigMgr variables and not MDT variables.

    Are you sure you didn't make any other changes?  

    When upgrading MDT, it's always recommended to create new Task Sequences. There were some other changes in the TS templates besides the updated toolkit/files.

    Try by adding the same variables as TS variables directly in the Task Sequence just before the UDI Wizard starts.


    Regards, Regin Ravi

    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

    Like I said, I recreated the Task Sequence after updating to MDT 8443

    I created a Set Task Sequence Variable (From general) named Set Domain Join Password

    Task sequence variable : OSDJoinPassword

    Value : ThePassword

    immediatly after,I have a Run command line named UDI Wizard


    Command line : cscript.exe "%DeployRoot%\Scripts\UDIWizard.wsf" /definition:win7pro.xml

    everything else seems to be OK, except the Password is not pass to the UDI.

    Adding a " (Quotation marks) for the first character of the password fixed the issue...

    Weird. 


    • Edited by edrouin Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:28 PM typo
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Found the solution here : 

    MDT 2013 update 2 UDI wizard - domain join credentials issue

    In the UDI Wizard, under the User Name Text Box, I needed to change from domain\user to  fqdn of the domain\user (ex:   users.contoso.com\user1)

    and also modify the %OSDJoinPassword% to something else like : %OSDJoinPassword_1% :

    OSDJoinPassword_1

    Save and update your MDT Tookit package.

    Don't forget to modify the task sequence too with the new variable name.

    It should now works.

    Thanks




    • Marked as answer by edrouin Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:12 PM
    • Edited by edrouin Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:10 PM