Does SharePoint reassign the Deleted Item ID RRS feed

• Question

• if I deleted the record some time later does SharePoint reassign this Item ID to Newly created Item?

Monday, December 19, 2011 4:22 PM

Answers

• SharePoint keeps track of the last assigned item ID in the database and will increment by one for the next item ID. It will not reuse the item ID. The only exception is if a wrap around occurs after 2^32 Items (2 Billion). Then it will start again with 1.
    Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:44 PM

All replies

• Simple answer is, no it does not.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Are you sure? In my case SharePoint has reassigned the Deleted ID. Please let me know anyone came across the same situation.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

The ID is not assign again. However the index is.

So DDPatil I think you are mentioning about index and I suppose you are writing some code and trying to access list items with this.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:22 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

No I am talking about Item.ID, I have added the Item using object model. however user has deleted some records few month back, now in this month new record has been added by user but I found Item ID for those record are deleted ID. Now the question aries is -

Does SharePoint object model finds vacant Item ID & reassigns it?

• Edited by ddpatil Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:51 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:47 AM
  • SharePoint keeps track of the last assigned item ID in the database and will increment by one for the next item ID. It will not reuse the item ID. The only exception is if a wrap around occurs after 2^32 Items (2 Billion). Then it will start again with 1.
    Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:44 PM