none
Setting the "Move the contents of [FolderName] to the new location" setting for a GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to set the "Move the contents of [FolderName] to the new location." setting of a folder redirection GPO that I have created. I am looking to do this with power shell. I know that there are no magic cmdlet's out there that will allow me to do this. I am looking to see if anyone knows what the registry key would be, that I would have to change to set this checkbox to either disabled or enabled. That way I could use the Set_GPRegistryValue to set the value.

Thank you in advance.

LittleTech

Monday, February 9, 2015 10:27 PM

Answers

• The registry key will not allow this.  You must define the fullGPO entry as it launches a special application to move the folder the first time the user logs in after the GPO is changed. Since this is a one time thing there is almost never a need to script it.  Just create and link a GPO.

Since GPOs are XML you could copy an existing GPO and modify the XML then link it to a container.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:04 PM

All replies

• The registry key will not allow this.  You must define the fullGPO entry as it launches a special application to move the folder the first time the user logs in after the GPO is changed. Since this is a one time thing there is almost never a need to script it.  Just create and link a GPO.

Since GPOs are XML you could copy an existing GPO and modify the XML then link it to a container.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:04 PM
  • Hey jrv,

Thank you, you're always first to help me out! I am unsure what you mean.

What I did was create a new GPO, I than backed up that GPO to a local folder. Updated the fdeploy.ini so that it has paths for documents, and pictures paths. Once I modified the paths I than imported that GPO into another GPO that I created. It has the folder settings, but does not have the "Move the contents of [FolderName] to the new location" set to disabled. Enabled is the default setting.

You are saying I should modify the xml file that was part of the backup files? I found the setting

<q1:MoveContents>true</q1:MoveContents>

I would just have to change that to false and than import the GPO to a newly created GPO yes?

Thanks,

LittleTech

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:21 PM
  • Then I do not understand what your question is.   The Policy file contains all of the settings. If you have it then just link it where you need.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:38 PM
  • If we use a backup then you have to figure out how to rename the backup and give it a new GUID.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:56 PM
  • We can use Copy:

Copy-GPO -SourceName 'Redirect Folders' -TargetName 'New Redirect Folders'

Now you can edit the INI and I believe it will work when linked.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:00 AM
  • Yup.  Just to be sure I did it and it works as expected.  Copy and edit the INI the link.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:07 AM
  • You are a wizard jrv :)

Thank you kindly for your help!

LittleTech

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Welcome.  It took me a bit to remember how to do it but the old brain pan finally woke up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:53 PM