Move an existing WSUS Replica to a WSUS standalone. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing (2012 R2) WSUS Replica server using WID isolated from the internet. It synchronizes (through a firewall) with the internet facing parent WSUS server. There is now an architectural change and we will lose access to it's parent server. We want to configure this as a standalone with the flexibility to point to other internet facing WSUS servers in our organization.

Is this as simple as deselecting "This server is a replica of the upstream server" and pointing to the new upstream server or is there more that needs to be done?

It doesn't matter if I lose computer groups. I assume all downloaded updates would remain as well as the WID databse.

This being a production server in a mission critical environment, I do not have the luxury of proving this.

• Edited by krupami Monday, December 17, 2018 8:36 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 6:57 PM

Answers

• Yes, it's as simple as that. https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-migrate-or-upgrade-wsus/ - Option 3 and the paragraph below explain how you would do it. In your case, after promoting the downstream to the upstream, just re-point it back to any other upstream system and it will become a downstream of that system. If they are all in sync, then there should be no re-download of anything.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Marked as answer by krupami Tuesday, December 18, 2018 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 4:03 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, you just need to point it to the new upstream and deselecting the "replica" option. There is nothing more need to pay attention to except the connectivity between the WSUS server and its new upstream. However, I suggest running the server cleanup wizard to do a cleanup after leaving its original upstream.

The computer groups and the metadata in the WID would remain. Only when it is a replica, it would inherit the computer groups and approval status from the upstream. When it is running in the autonomous mode, it only gets update metadata from the upstream and inserts them into the existing WID database.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:57 AM

All replies

• Yes, it's as simple as that. https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-migrate-or-upgrade-wsus/ - Option 3 and the paragraph below explain how you would do it. In your case, after promoting the downstream to the upstream, just re-point it back to any other upstream system and it will become a downstream of that system. If they are all in sync, then there should be no re-download of anything.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 4:03 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, you just need to point it to the new upstream and deselecting the "replica" option. There is nothing more need to pay attention to except the connectivity between the WSUS server and its new upstream. However, I suggest running the server cleanup wizard to do a cleanup after leaving its original upstream.

The computer groups and the metadata in the WID would remain. Only when it is a replica, it would inherit the computer groups and approval status from the upstream. When it is running in the autonomous mode, it only gets update metadata from the upstream and inserts them into the existing WID database.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:57 AM