none
HP Probook 440 G5 - Bitlocker and TPM encryption RRS feed

• Question

• Hello experts, I would appreciate your help into something that happened to my borther this week.

He was using an HP ProBook 440 G5 for quite some time with Windows 10.

The computer stopped responding and booting so he called the technician in his home.

The technician was also unable to boot, so he removed the laptop's drive (Toshiba HDD 500GB) and tried to clone this drive. He was unable to read the data so he performed a data recovery scan where he understood that the drive was encrypted with Bitlocker.

He put the drive back in the original laptop and the hard disk didn't boot from there either.

Mention that my brother was booting normall in windows until the last windows update I guess. After the update probably the problem happened and stopped booting. He was not using bitlocker password to enter Windows. He only provided to me and to the technican his credentials for Microsoft account or computer login. An email and a password.

I checked the BIOS of the laptop and I see in the TPM Embedded Security tab:

• TPM Device: Available
    • [x] TPM State
    • Clear TPM [No]
    • TPM Activation Policy [Allow use to reject]

In Secure Boot configuration there are the following options selected

Configure Legacy Support and Secure Boot [Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Enable]

[x] Enable MS UEFI CA key

The initial drive is identified by a recovery software like this (meaning one partition is from Bitlocker).

Now when we try to boot from this drive we get "No operating system found"

link: i.imgur.com/KbW9cxl.png

What can we do to recover the data from there?

* The user of the laptop has never defined a Bitclocker Pin or Recovery key by himself.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:39 AM

All replies