MDT2012 deployment progress will freezed while deploying the .Net framework 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I put some additional drivers and softwares under the  Applications of MDT Deployment share, then deployment without problem, then I found I need also put the .Net Framework 4.0 into, so I did it and rebuild the image for deployment.

The depoyment jobs done when deploy device drivers and softwares, only while deploying the .Net  Framework 4.0 will make the deployment progress bar freezed, then the deployment stop going, I only can do is enable the task manager to end the .Net Framework 4.0 setup program, then the deployment job can keep go on.

Then I try to setup the .Net Framework 4.0 separately, and it ask a reboot,  so I reboot PC and then login the Windows to do the  .Net Framework 4.0 setup without problem.

So I think I maybe can make a reboot before the .Net Framework 4.0 setup, so I let the PC reboot after the first application installation completed, but this reboot is under the MDT deployment procedure. However, after the reboot to setup the .Net Framework 4.0 still failed and make progress freezed.

My guess is the MDT2012 deployment maybe have some conflict with .Net 4.0 Framework setup program.

Current I can only to setup the .Net Framework 4.0 after all deployment completed and reboot to login Windows.

Do anyone experience such symptom?

Thanks!

C.C.  

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:31 AM

Answers

• I use this install string:

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /norestart /passive

With the /passive option, install wil show a dialog with progress, but no interaction is required (or possible). That way you can at least see what's going on.

And yes, DotNET does take exceptionally long to install...

Regards,
    Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by chihs Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:23 AM

All replies

• Which install are you using (should be full and not web installer) and what is the command line you are using?  Should be something like:

dotnetfx40_full_x86_x64.exe /q /norestart

You can get the Standalone Installer here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:56 AM
    Answerer
  • I run the .net framework installer with a batch file. The install.cmd and dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe is in the same directory.

install.cmd have only one line

"%~dp0dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe" /q /norestart /ChainingPackage "ADMINDEPLOYMENT"

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:00 AM
  • I only use the following command for the .Net Framework 4.0,

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q

need the /norestart switch which means it's waiting for the restart so freezed?

I will try,

thanks

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:08 AM
  • The result is the same? still don't know why?

Thanks!

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Configure the Application Properties Details Tab

http://systemscenter.ru/mdt2012.en/conftheapplpropdetatab.htm#_mdtumdtconftheapplpropdetatab

Reboot the computer after installing this application

Select to configure the MDT deployment process to restart the target computer after installing this application. If the check box is:

• Selected, the target computer restarts after installing the application
    • Cleared, the target computer will not restart after installing the application

Note   This check box is cleared by default.

/ Andrés

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:21 AM
  • NET Framework 4 is not the fastest installation in the world, it usually takes a good bit to install. I would suggest taking a look at the processes in task manager while its installing to make sure it is still running or adding it to the image build to speed up the deployment process.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:02 PM
  • I did check the task manager to sure the .Net Framework 4  which was still running,

It's running and not end, at least to wait 3/4 hour to make sure....  I dont' think the .Net Framework 4 need such long installation time.

Thanks!

C.C.

Monday, August 19, 2013 3:08 AM
  • Using Control panel \ Uninstall programs. Please make sure you don't already have .net framework 4.0 installed.

Also check the install log file in temp. It starts with "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup" and is a html file.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/varungupta/archive/2010/06/22/troubleshooting-net-framework-4-install-failures.aspx

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:19 AM
  • I use this install string:

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /norestart /passive

With the /passive option, install wil show a dialog with progress, but no interaction is required (or possible). That way you can at least see what's going on.

And yes, DotNET does take exceptionally long to install...

Regards,
    Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by chihs Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:23 AM
  • Dear Martin,

The switch is very useful, it then show I need to install the V4.0.30319,

This is confused me, I check my .Net Framework file, it's V4.0.30319.01?

Which version is correct? Where I can download the correct version?

Thanks!

C.C.

Need v4.0.30319

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:32 AM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/zh-cn/download/details.aspx?id=17718

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:10 AM
  • The version is my current use --> V4.0.30319.01

While the deploying,  the procedure stop and show message to ask to install  V4.0.30319 first, don't the difference in between?

Thanks!

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:44 AM
  • Never had that problem. I just downloaded the .net redistributable package, imported it as an application in Deployment Workbench with the /passive install string and added it to my TaskSequence.

Works like a charm.

Maybe something is wrong with your base image?

I sugest you try deploying a default MS image (unchanged) and then see what happens...

Good luck.

Regards,
    Martin

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:14 AM
  • You are right,

While the deployment,  I uncheck to install all applications except the .Net Framework 4.0 then without the problem, so must be one of other appications to cause the issue.

Thanks!

C.C.

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:09 AM