Accesing 2k3 fileserver by name shows no shares by Ip fine XP only RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

probably something stupid we or the older admins overlooked but every now and then a xp client when accessing a server by name (e.g. \\server1) shows no shares or a share that doesnt even exist on that server, but accessing it by IP is fine. No such issues with the 2k8 fileservers as of yet. W7 clients dont have an issue with the 2k3 server.

Thanks
    Quote by andhey "hmm ill try it later, i accidentally deleted all my tv shows when trying to delete a word document lmao"
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:00 AM

Answers

• Try using the fully qualified domain name (i.e. \\server1.yourcompany.com). If this works, it may be a problem with WINS resolving the short name to the wrong device.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 10:47 AM

All replies

• Try using the fully qualified domain name (i.e. \\server1.yourcompany.com). If this works, it may be a problem with WINS resolving the short name to the wrong device.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

Sounds like your DNS buddy!

Ensure that the host machine is able to resolve your server's domain in the DNS entries. This problem is common in small office situations where sometimes admins use the internet router as the DHCP server for some hosts.

Proof of concept.

* Launch your host machine and go to TCP/IP settings

* In there as the Primary DNS set as the IP of your server

* Set your secondary DNS as the one from your ISP or your preferred DNS

* Retry accessing via name again, This should work and prove the issue to be DNS

If you are using a windows box for your DNS server, ensure it has the correct entries for the file server and that it can resolve them.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, August 8, 2011 3:35 PM
  • ill try the FQDN next time. the affected machine isnt affected anymore :( but something like that being set up incorrectly does sound  right for our org!

will reply next time i get a chance to test this

but what i dont understand is why pinging the name works but using a unc path to it doesnt
    Quote by andhey "hmm ill try it later, i accidentally deleted all my tv shows when trying to delete a word document lmao"
    Monday, August 8, 2011 11:27 PM