January 2018 Windows Update for all Windows versions breaks software which relies on Windows kernel to function RRS feed

• Question

• This forum does not allow search results to be sorted by date so this prevented me from finding out if this was already asked.

It appears that there is software out there such as software made by Arcsoft, which makes use of a protection mechanism that interacts with the Windows kernel. It appears that January 2018 changes made to the Windows kernel to mitigate Meltdown and other threats had a side effect of disabling Arcsoft and similar software on all Windows operating systems.

Arcsoft made software which played retail Blu-ray discs. Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre. It is no longer updated and the answer appears to be "too bad, just move on to other software." Well there is exactly 1 (one) other software that exists in 2018 that can play retail Blu-ray discs and that's PowerDVD and it's not cheap. [Not counting Chinese made software not properly licensed to play retail Blu-ray discs.]

Just trying to confirm that Windows has permanently disabled functioning of such software and that this will not be changed, in other words if the burden of fix is on the software makers and the software creators are no longer updating the program... then this means a permanent end to its use... unless we never update Windows with 2018 and beyond updates.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi c6276272,

As far as I know, Microsoft posted a related link about the issue in the Forum.

Mitigations for speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities in CPU Microcode

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b49437be-eb74-42d7-8ec8-5018c3280acb/mitigations-for-speculative-execution-sidechannel-vulnerabilities-in-cpu-microcode?forum=win10itprogeneral

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 2, 2018 7:35 AM
  • So if you update any version of Windows OS in 2018, software such as Arcsoft's Windows Blu-ray player TotalMedia Theatre will no longer work.

If you can forgive me for not thoroughly reading every link in that useful thread, is there anything there that can make such broken software work again?

Friday, February 2, 2018 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

As far as I know, mitigating Meltdown and Spectre also requires installing firmware updates from hardware vendors. While the operating system updates address Meltdown, Spectre fixes rely on firmware updates from hardware vendors that implement microcode fixes from chip vendors. You could try to install this fix manually. It fixes some know issue.

Win10 1709: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4073290/unbootable-state-for-amd-devices-in-windows-10-version-1709

Also update the system version to KB4058258 (OS Build 16299.214).

Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 4, 2018 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

Update.

For the KB4058258, some information about the issue that affects some versions of antivirus software.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4058258/windows-10-update-kb4058258

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"

Value Name="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"

Type="REG_DWORD”

Data="0x00000000”

Regards,

Monday, February 5, 2018 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Monday, February 19, 2018 8:11 AM
  • The replies in this thread seem to be Windows 10 specific, but this issue is not Windows 10-only-related but is replicable on Windows 7 and 8 and 10. So the proposed solutions would not apply to Windows 7 and 8 where this problem also exists, and they would not address the problem on Windows 10 either.

I speculate that activation mechanism for some software such as Arcsoft's Windows Blu-ray player TotalMedia Theatre is directly tied to Windows kernel and changes which have been made in any 2018 or beyond Windows Update for ANY Windows (7, 8 or 10) make it impossible for software to activate.

Sadly the only solution appears to be one of two:

1. Never apply any 2018 or beyond Windows updates.

2. Stop using software which no longer works after 2018 or beyond Windows updates are applied.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:12 PM