none
Run steps are changed to delta instead of full RRS feed

• Question

• I don't think I'm seeing ghosts here - but ...

I have a XMA with a Run Profile with one step of Full Import and Full Synchronization. When I run this the Step Type shows "Full Import and Delta Synchronization" - very strange. The Run also terminates with a stopped-server error and the eventlog says:

"ERR_: MMS(6968): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\shared\utils\libutils.cpp(10364): Unusual error code reported 0x80070057. Forefront Identity Manager 4.1.2273.0". There is also traces of the ' 0 is not a valid DN depth' error. I know about that - but the changing of the Run Step type is spooky.

Has anyone seen this behaviour? Do I miss something..?

I'm on FIM2010 R2 build 4.1.2273.0 (havn't yet been able to install latest update, since this is a production system and we need a service window)

Regards, Soren Granfeldt
    blog is at http://blog.goverco.com | twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/MrGranfeldt

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:32 PM

Answers

• I have this resolved.  I installed the latest hotfix 4.1.2548.0 from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2750671  It took a little digging to find this one - wish that part was easier ;-) (found link on Soren's blog - Thanks!)  This hotfix replaces 4.1.2515.0 which has the following:

---------

Issue 4
    In a large scale connector space, data in the obsoletion list becomes unsynchronized during a full import operation. When this issue occurs, the operation returns an error that resembles the following:

0 is not a valid DN depth

------------

After installing the hotfix, all is working well now.  Be sure to backup your SQL tables as this hotfix will modify them.

Regards,

Randy Wallace, Senior Technical Architect

Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:40 PM

All replies

• I am getting the same issue on an SQL MA.  The MA has been running since July 2012 with no issue what so ever.  Now, when I go to run a Full import on the MA, it changes to "Full Import and Delta Syncronization" and I get a stopped-server status.  No data changes are flowing in from the MA now. I get the same error you noted with 4 events logged:

---------------------------------------------

Eventid: 6311
    The server encountered an unexpected error while performing a callback operation.

"ERR_: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\server\sync\obsoletionlist.cpp(319): 0 is not a valid DN depth
    BAIL: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\server\sync\obsoletionlist.cpp(321): 0x80070057 (The parameter is incorrect.)
    BAIL: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\server\sync\obsoletionlist.cpp(767): 0x80070057 (The parameter is incorrect.)
    BAIL: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\server\sync\obsoletionlist.cpp(1146): 0x80070057 (The parameter is incorrect.)
    BAIL: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\server\sync\syncimport.cpp(807): 0x80070057 (The parameter is incorrect.)
    BAIL: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\server\sync\syncimport.cpp(110): 0x80070057 (The parameter is incorrect.)
    BAIL: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\server\server\ma.cpp(4584): 0x80070057 (The parameter is incorrect.)
    Forefront Identity Manager 4.1.2273.0"

Eventid: 6401
    The management agent controller encountered an unexpected error.

"BAIL: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\cntrler\cntrler.cpp(1844): 0x80070057 (The parameter is incorrect.)

Eventid: 6401
    The management agent controller encountered an unexpected error.

"ERR_: MMS(6732): d:\bt\9394412\private\source\miis\shared\utils\libutils.cpp(10364): Unusual error code reported 0x80070057

Eventid: 6056
    The management agent "OSData" failed on run profile "Full Import" because the server encountered errors.
    System

-----------------------------------

Did you find anything to resolve this?

Regards,

Randy

• Proposed as answer by rtwallace Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rtwallace Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:22 PM
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:05 PM
  • I've seen the same thing when there are stop-server errors on ECMA2, ECMA and regular MAs too. As far as I've been able to tell, it's a UI bug. It only happens on errors. When the XMA runs correctly, the description is correct.

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:09 PM
  • I have this resolved.  I installed the latest hotfix 4.1.2548.0 from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2750671  It took a little digging to find this one - wish that part was easier ;-) (found link on Soren's blog - Thanks!)  This hotfix replaces 4.1.2515.0 which has the following:

---------

Issue 4
    In a large scale connector space, data in the obsoletion list becomes unsynchronized during a full import operation. When this issue occurs, the operation returns an error that resembles the following:

0 is not a valid DN depth

------------

After installing the hotfix, all is working well now.  Be sure to backup your SQL tables as this hotfix will modify them.

Regards,

Randy Wallace, Senior Technical Architect

Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:40 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information. I need to dig a Little deeper on this next time I'm at the installation. I'll return with more information.

Regards, Soren Granfeldt
    blog is at http://blog.goverco.com | twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/MrGranfeldt

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:02 PM
  • I encountered a similar issue about a year ago with FIM 2010 (Stopped-server Error Running Full Import (Stage Only) on SQL Server MA), and it happened to me again two days ago with FIM 2010 R2 (Build 4.1.2273.0). I did not apply the latest hotfix.

In my most recent case, I was able to execute any of the run profiles of other MAs, but whenever I ran any type of import, delta or full, on the offending AD DS MA, I would encounter the stopped-server error. And when I looked at the run profile that was executed, it always showed Full Import and Delta Synchronization even though I was executing Full Import (Stage Only) or Delta Import (Stage Only) on the AD DS MA.

The first time this happened about a year ago, I ended up deleting and recreating the offending management agent, which in that case was an AD DS MA. This time, I'm guessing that this error is due to object linking with another MA. I had recently created a FIM Service Management Agent MA. I ended up deleting the CS of this MA. Once I did this I was able to get past the stopped-server error. I then ran a sync process on the AD DS MA, which re-generated a host of pending adds/exports to the clean FIM Service Management Agent CS. Now, as I mentioned, I am able to run both full imports and delta imports on the AD DS MA that was causing issues earlier.

Note that I just did this seven hours ago so I'm still executing run profiles and keeping my fingers crossed.

Friday, November 30, 2012 9:01 PM
  • When you installed this hotfix, did you install all of the components?  Or just the synchronization service component?  My download contained 12 installers, and the documentation references known issues with the extensions install, so I'd like to just install the synchronization service component.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:33 PM