Opening pdfs within a flash program RRS feed

• Question

• hope this is a nice easy one to get round.

we have adobe x reader virtulised and it has the .pdf extention pushed to the client (any pdf opens with the virtual program). this works great BUT I have a flash program which uses PDFs alot and if i try and open the PDFs from within the program the PDF refference opens the virtual adobe reader which cant find the file as they are within the application bubble. If i remvoe the appv pdf refference (manaually form appv client program) and open the flash program which i sequenced adobe reader with the pdfs open as adobe reader is within the application bubble so can see the embedded files.

Is there any way of telling a virtual application not to reference the local application references?

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

So you have two virtual applications. One which contains Adobe Reader. One which contains Adobe Flash.

The one with Adobe Flash has .pdf-content ?

Include Flash within your sequence - fastest way to get it running. If my above guess is correct

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:18 AM
  • nope not exactly.

think of the first application could be anything but it uses pdf documents from within it.

we virtualise adobe x reader and make .pdf references to the local computer (every pdf opens through the virtual adobe reader)

I want the first application to ignore the locally referenced .pdf extention and use its own version of adobe which was sequenced with the application as the current virtual adobe reader cant see the content of the file as it is outwith the first application bubble.

the problem is if we have .pdf referenced to the local computer the virtual application tries to open the pdf file with the virtual adobe x reader. Is there a comand to put in the osd to tell the application to use its own sequenced adobe and ignore any application installed / referenced to the local computer

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Hello,

Is .PDF registered as a FTA within the virtual env?
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:49 PM
  • yes it is. and i want this specific application not to use it.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Hello,

Then use Process Monitor to determine what happens and how it locates the reader - set override registry keys within the virtual environment for those keys (or files..)
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:17 PM
  • i might be missing an issue here, but could you not use dynamic suite composition to allow the virtual adobe reader package to see inside the first apps app-v bubble? then you avoid the need to have adobe reader additionally sequenced with the first/main app.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:03 PM
  • I tried that and the application does the same as referencing the local pdf extention (attempts to open PDF but cant find the file.)
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:15 AM
  • just as a test, did you try adding them to eachother?

Edit the Primary app OSD file to DSC link to the Adobe Reader

and

Edit the Adobe reader OSD to DSC link to the Primary app?

Might not be the best solution to implement in the end though. Other than that, I guess it's back to Znacks suggestion of using procmon to find what keys are being hit.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:19 PM