Invoke-SqlCmd - Parameter not recognized - Credential RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get familiar with Invoke-SqlCmd so I can use alternate credentials to access the DB.  When I use the -Credential parameter I get the error it is not recognized.

I am using the "SqlServer" module (21.1.18068), installed with -AllowClobber.  Not using SqlPS.  I saw a post that said the call had to be within a function... Seemed quirky, but I tried it anyway.  No joy.

Here is a sample of the call:

Invoke-Sqlcmd	-ServerInstance $Server		`
    		-Database       $Database	`
    		-Query          $Query		`
    		-Credential     $Cred		`
    		-Verbose
    All those variables are populated with appropriate values.
    Any thoughts?

Monday, February 3, 2020 11:49 PM

Answers

• Thanks.  It would seem that way, but:

PS C:\> Get-Command Invoke-Sqlcmd
    CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source                         
    -----------     ----                                               -------    ------                         
    Cmdlet          Invoke-Sqlcmd                                      21.1.18068 sqlServer 

• Marked as answer by CBS3 Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:17 PM

All replies

• You clearly do not have the correct module installed.

get-command invoke-sqlcmd

Check.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 2:36 AM
  • Thanks.  It would seem that way, but:

PS C:\> Get-Command Invoke-Sqlcmd
    CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source                         
    -----------     ----                                               -------    ------                         
    Cmdlet          Invoke-Sqlcmd                                      21.1.18068 sqlServer 

• Marked as answer by CBS3 Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:17 PM
  • OK, I got one step further.  I found SqlPS module in $PSModulePath and renamed it.  Had to reboot to release the folder for rename.  That allowed SqlServer module to load the right Invoke-SqlCmd command, even though it seemed to be reporting as loaded previously.

So, closing this question/post.  I'll have a new one about credential use...

FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExecutionFailureException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.GetScriptCo
       mmand

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:42 PM