none
Unable to open Outlook 2003 on Vista Home Premium & can't find Outlook pst. file RRS feed

• Question

• I can't open Outlook 2003 to get my email and the error message I get says: "errors have been detected in the C:\Users\Sparky\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst." THe error message goes on to say to use the "Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file." 

I cannot find my outlook.pst nor the scanpst.exe files. 

Got online and tried 4 different suggestions and none worked. Would anyone please have suggestions? I want to upgrade my OS & Office, but don't know if my files will be retained or not. Thank you to anyone who can help. 

Friday, December 4, 2015 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Sparkinator,

Thank you for your question.

Please run the following path to check if you could find outlook.pst:

C:\Users\Sparky\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ 

We could find ScanPSt.exe by the following path:

32-bit Windows   C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>
    64-bit Windows   C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>

If you could not find it, we suggest you re-install outlook 2003 to check if the issue persist.

Notice: please make sure there are no emails that were archived to the local computer when we re-install it.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sparkinator100 Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:55 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2015 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Sparkinator,

Thank you for your question.

Please run the following path to check if you could find outlook.pst:

C:\Users\Sparky\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ 

We could find ScanPSt.exe by the following path:

32-bit Windows   C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>
    64-bit Windows   C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\<locale ID>

If you could not find it, we suggest you re-install outlook 2003 to check if the issue persist.

Notice: please make sure there are no emails that were archived to the local computer when we re-install it.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 7, 2015 7:35 AM
  • It worked! I finally found the repair inbox file. Thank you Jim very much. 5 stars!
    • Unmarked as answer by Sparkinator100 Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:55 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:36 AM