Storage spaces and disk cloning. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm on windows 8 pro and have just recently suffered a great misfortune in the shape of one of my storage spaces drives failing, It's still being detected by the computer however any attempt to access the files in the pool results in explorer freezing until I reboot, thus rendering all my data unusable.. I have it configured with 3x1tb disks and no resiliency(I know, I see  now that I'm an idiot) but I chose not to have any res options because it'd limit my effective storage to roughly 1.3tb, whereas the total data across all 3 disks is about 2.5tb. So I have come here with a simple question, is it possible to clone the failing hard drive onto a fresh disk and use the new disk in the storage space without problems, theoretically it should work because I'd be doing a full sector-sector disk clone, right?

Furthermore, if I was to get a 3tb hard drive and make 3 partitions of 1tb(well 931gb) and then clone all 3 storage spaces disks onto those would I be able to use those partitions as a replacement for the physical hdd's?

Or is there some other way for me to access my files, since the drive is still being detected I figure it's not completely dead yet.

Thanks,

b0sanac.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sector-Sector disk clone is worth a try if the data is very important. The second option does not work.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:10 AM
  • I just tried a sector-sector disk clone to a new drive and it didn't work. I also tried adding the new drive to the pool and removing the faulty drive but I keep getting an error saying "Cannot remove hard drive because there is insufficient space to re-allocate the data, please add another disk to the storage space and try again." something to those lines, thing is I tried that AFTER I added a 3tb disk into the storage space. Is there any way to remove/replace the faulty drive without losing my data?

Edit: It is now marked as 'retired'.

• Edited by b0sanac Friday, June 7, 2013 4:27 PM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 4:09 PM
  • If your hard drive is corrupted, you can use Hiren's Ultimate Boot CD? Google "Hiren's Ultiamte Boot CD" and download and burn the image to a disk. Boot your computer from the disk and navigate towards the recovery options. Under that there should be a function called "HDD Regenerator."

Now, if your hard drive is dead, I believe that somewhere on Hiren's Boot CD there is also a function (I know there is can't think of the name right now) which backups your hard drive.

Obviously I can't guarantee you won't loose data, however, at this point it's worth a shot to see if you can get your drives back in working order.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 7:18 PM
  • It's not mechanically dead, it is still being recognized but the only difference is that it's for whatever reason marked as 'retired' in windows storage spaces.
    Sunday, June 9, 2013 7:44 AM