none
Difference between RDL files from BIDs 2015 vs Microsoft Reporting Services Projects (VSIX 2.6.1) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lot of report solutions created in BIDs 2015 and am migrating all of the reports to new solutions in VS 2019 and Microsoft Reporting Services Projects (VSIX 2.6.1). 

1) Is it OK to simply copy the old rdl files to the new solutions

2) Is there any differences between rdl files create in BIDs 2015 and the rdl files created in Reporting Services Projects (VSIX 2.6.1)?

Thanks.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As I tested before, we could not only simply copy and paste BIDS .rdl to SSDT.  When you open BIDS project in SSDT 2019 , it will ask and perform one upgrade to the whole project. 

After the upgrading to project would not be able to be opened in BIDS. See my old post here, which is related :SSRS 2008 R2 Visual Studio 2017

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 2:36 AM
  • My 2015 BIDs solutions are very old and became problematic when upgrading from 2013 to 2015.  therefore I didn't not want to update the solutions again to 2019.  I want to start with fresh clean report projects.  I have VS 2019 Enterprise and installed and then installed "Microsoft Reporting Services Projects (VSIX 2.6.1)" from the VS Extension Manager. 

1) Is this the SSDT you were referring to above?

2) I create a new VS2019 solution using a "Microsoft Reporting Services Projects (VSIX 2.6.1)" project.  I copied the old rdl files to this project and imported them in.  When I opened the first report it hung for about 2 minutes (I thought it was corrupt and VS would crash) and then it opened OK.  after that all other reports opened as normal.  Does this mean that the new report project secretly upgraded the rdl files behind the scenes and everything is "golden" now?

OR - Is this a "bad" way to migrate old reports.  above you said "we could not only simply copy and paste BIDS .rdl to SSDT" so i'm a bit confused here on what we can and cannot do. 

Doesnt MS have a documented path to migrate old reports from old BIDs solutions to a "Microsoft Reporting Services Projects (VSIX 2.6.1)" project?

Thank you for your help.  I'm getting pressure from the client to deploy report revisions and I need to finish this first.

Friday, November 22, 2019 6:24 PM
  • Hi Moondaddy,

Sorry for the confusion. SSDT means SQL Server Data Tools.  It is the VS shell used to develop MS BI projects. It is much the same as  Microsoft Reporting Services Projects (VSIX 2.6.1)

BTW, BIDS is only the name for SSRS 2008, I am wondering, what your BIDs 2015 refering to?

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:38 AM