none
Multiple Instances of Migration Tool? RRS feed

• Question

• Can the migration tool be run on multiple computers (or virtual machines) simultaneously to improve upload performance?

Thanks

Terry

Terry Dawydiak TD Computer Solutions Inc. Vancouver, BC

Sunday, January 28, 2018 12:53 AM

All replies

• yes, you can run SPMT manually on multiple machine to improve upload performance. 
    • Marked as answer by Terry Dawydiak Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Terry Dawydiak Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:49 AM
  • But you need to consider the throttling limit setting in your Exchange to support your multiple migration batches.

Regards.

Shakir

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:55 AM
  • Thanks Shakir, but I don't see how Exchange throttling applies.  I'm simply migrating an on-premise folder share (i.e. data files) to SharePoint Online, not transferring email (that's been done - client has been using Exchange Online for a while now) -- unless there's some underlying Exchange-related service that SPMT utilizes which I'm unaware of.

Terry

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:22 PM
  • Hi

Kindly follow this Link for more information that how you can achieve this.

Manage migration batches in Exchange Online

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. Regards.

H.Shakir

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:45 PM
  • Thanks Shakir -- the info you offered regards Exchange Online and mailbox migration, not SharePoint data migration.  The correct answer was provided earlier by Hua Wenli (Microsoft).

Thanks

Terry

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:53 PM
  • I am unable to run a second instance of SPMT for my migration job.  I've just attempted to run SPMT on another workstation, but received the following:

Migration Paused 2018-02-03 09:42:31

Migration name: First Run

Total local file folder 1, remaining local folder 1

88.32 MB out of 21.11 GB waiting for migration

Containing FileShare source from other device

When I select this migration job and click Next, I receive the following:

"The migration is taken over by someone else, and synchronization cannot be executed."

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Can't find any documentation on how to proceed.

Thanks, Terry.

Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Hello Terry,

I think you are trying to start an incremental migration from a different machine on a new machine and that may not work.  If you start a new migration on the new machine, it would definitely work.  I have customers running SPMT on 30 VM's to do the migration.  

Thanks

Hari

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:01 PM
  • Thanks for your response, Hari. I suppose I’m not entirely sure how my SPMT is running (more documentation on this tool would be helpful, but I appreciate that it’s a young utility). The one & only SPMT instance that I have running was configured for incremental updates. I haven’t touched it since I started it up over 200 hours ago - it’s now displaying “ Round 5”, and continues to migrate files. Should I attempt another SPMT instance with incrementals turned off? Regards Terry

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:18 PM