searched for 3 hours.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, recently i was getting frustrated with windows vista, so i decided to install xp on my other hard drive. after the blue screen file copy part, it restarted like normal and all i ever see is "Press any key to boot from disk.....Error loading operating system".

i have searched for hours. No mater what i do this shows up, i even formated the drive vista was on. I've tried many solutions, but it seems its un-fixable.

Please help me... the drive I'm installing win xp ro sp2 on i cannot format simply because there are files i NEED on it.

I posted it here because i believe this problem is related to vista, because before vista, I've NEVER had a problem.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 5:27 PM

Answers

• When I first played with installing Vista I tried a similar thing and the only way I could get around this was to boot from the XP disk and format both drives, then instal XP back on to the main drive and then when I had all the knoweldege and drives and had upgraded PC did I then re-instal Vista.

Good Luck....

Monday, May 7, 2007 7:13 PM
  • like you said, it seamed the only was was to format bot drives to clear all boot log data.

i have xp back up and running, thx for your help guys!
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:30 AM

All replies

• you might install vista on the drive you format then save your file after that format all the drive.  I had this problem before, the thing i did is install the vista, I've tried to use the recover CD which I get from the laptop company but that doesn't help!!  I think the easiest way is to install vista. The reason, I guess, is the vista changed the MBR section so when you started the computer the computer will take the vista as the boot option not the xp-installation.

You can also install vista on the drive you want to install xp pro,because if you don't choose the format option, vista will save your previous file on that drive.

Good luck

Sunday, May 6, 2007 10:29 AM
  • When I first played with installing Vista I tried a similar thing and the only way I could get around this was to boot from the XP disk and format both drives, then instal XP back on to the main drive and then when I had all the knoweldege and drives and had upgraded PC did I then re-instal Vista.

Good Luck....

Monday, May 7, 2007 7:13 PM
  • like you said, it seamed the only was was to format bot drives to clear all boot log data.

i have xp back up and running, thx for your help guys!
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:30 AM
  • I think that you had:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931760

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:52 PM