Using SCCM to find which are VMWare servers which are physical servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am try to use SCCM to find the invenroty of servers that will tell me following

1.VMware servers running windows.

2.Physical windows servers.

3. server running certain applications like IIS or SQL.

If someone can help to do this , I will really appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

SCCM Starter

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:22 PM

Answers

• There are a few areas of Hardware Inventory that can help identify VMWare machines, without having to extend.

Garth's post above points to Vendor information, that is contained in the "Computer System" section (v_GS_COMPUTER_SYSTEM if you are building a report).  Systems that are VMWare VMs have a Vendor like "VMware, Inc.".  You could also use the vendor to identory physical servers also.

Another area where you can identify VMs, plus other chassis types, is under "System Enclosure" (v_GS_SYSTEM_ENCLOSURE).  Systems with chassis type "1" tend to be VMs (not just VMWare though).  23 = "Rack Mount Chassis".  See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387204(VS.85).aspx for a full list (under ChassisType).

As for point 3, several builtin sections can list applications.  Add/Remove Programs is inventoried, as is services.  So there's plenty of choices to find what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:25 AM

All replies

• Not sure if you can get lists differentiating between phy or Virt servers. Probably better option will be SCVMM. SCCM will pick the servers information as AD objects.

Not sure if NTDS.DIT captures the machine data differentiating between phy or virt. machines..

Raj
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:16 AM
  • It's all in hardware inventory, so no need the use SCVMM here. Have a look at the inventory class "Virtual Machine". Applications either show up in add/remove programs or can be identified by a running service.
    So ConfigMgr provides all the information you need.

ntds.dit has nothing to do with physical or virtual servers; it just contains the AD database.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:53 AM
  • However, I believe our virtual machine information looks at Microsoft Virtual PC/Server Registry keys, which VMWare would not have. So not sure you can use our default stuff to identify VMWare virtuals and physical hosts.

You'd have to see what VMWare would provide to identify that and then extend our inventory to capture that information. It does work very well with our virtual technology however. :-)

Wally Mead
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:06 AM
  • Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:18 AM
  • There are a few areas of Hardware Inventory that can help identify VMWare machines, without having to extend.

Garth's post above points to Vendor information, that is contained in the "Computer System" section (v_GS_COMPUTER_SYSTEM if you are building a report).  Systems that are VMWare VMs have a Vendor like "VMware, Inc.".  You could also use the vendor to identory physical servers also.

Another area where you can identify VMs, plus other chassis types, is under "System Enclosure" (v_GS_SYSTEM_ENCLOSURE).  Systems with chassis type "1" tend to be VMs (not just VMWare though).  23 = "Rack Mount Chassis".  See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387204(VS.85).aspx for a full list (under ChassisType).

As for point 3, several builtin sections can list applications.  Add/Remove Programs is inventoried, as is services.  So there's plenty of choices to find what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:25 AM
  • Those sound like very good suggestions. I was only commenting on Torsten's suggestion of using the Virtual Machine class, as I believe it is only for our technology. If there are others that work, as you suggest, then hopefully those will be good enough for SCCM Starter and he can mark this as answered if indeed it does get what he needs.

I don't use VMWare, nor do we test it, so hard for us (us being the Configuration Manager product group) to answer what might work for that product.

Wally Mead
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:13 PM
  • For virtual servers I use the classes mentioned in the previous posts - the virtual machine class for Microsoft virtual machines and the manufacturer in Computer System for VMWare.  The Microsoft ones are best since you can query the physical host which isn't possible with VMWare as it's not recorded on the client.

The IIS and SQL details can also be found in the hardware inventory.  You can query the services class to find where the particular services are installed/running and you can look in Add Remove Programs to see where applications have been installed.  That has problems determining the edition of SQL that's installed so if you need to use that then the Asset Intelligence classes can help!

Good luck,
    Chris
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:00 PM