SharePoint outgoing email queue? RRS feed

• Question

• If there is a connectivity failure between the SharePoint farm and SMTP server, are outgoing emails stored in a queue in SharePoint until the connectivity is restored? If so, how long that queue is maintained?

During the connectivity failure, it gives the following error in the event viewer:

Event Type:          Error
    Event Source:       Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event Category:    E-Mail
    Event ID:    6857
    Date:                  1/11/2011
    Time:                  10:51:50 PM
    User:                  N/A
    Computer:  <server name>
    Description:    Cannot connect to SMTP host

Is there anyway to figure out the emails which SharePont tried to send during this interval and whether they were delivered?

Dip
    http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    Friday, January 21, 2011 6:23 PM

Answers

• There is no eMail Queue in SharePoint.  If email connectivity fails then those outgoing emails are lost.  The normal workaround for this is to put an SMTP server right on the same server as SharePoint.  I normally use a FREE product called hMailServer for that.  That way if connectivity is lost between hMailserver and the main SMTP server email will be queued and re-sent.  Having the SMTP server local decreases the chance of a connectivity failure between SharePoint and the SMTP server.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, January 28, 2011 5:53 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:57 PM

All replies

• There is no eMail Queue in SharePoint.  If email connectivity fails then those outgoing emails are lost.  The normal workaround for this is to put an SMTP server right on the same server as SharePoint.  I normally use a FREE product called hMailServer for that.  That way if connectivity is lost between hMailserver and the main SMTP server email will be queued and re-sent.  Having the SMTP server local decreases the chance of a connectivity failure between SharePoint and the SMTP server.
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, January 28, 2011 5:53 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Thank a lot Paul. This helps a lot. If there are multiple servers in the farm, should SMTP be installed on all servers or installing it on one server should work?

Thanks,
    Dip

Dip
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:08 PM
  • The point would be to have an SMTP server to do relay on each server.  That way network traffic is taken out of the equation and you shouldnt drop anymore mail.
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Thanks Paul. One additional question is do we need to use free tool like the you mentioned or will the default Windows SMTP available in IIS work? What advantage would hMailServer would have than the default SMTP available in Windows IIS.

Thanks,
    Dip

Dip
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:28 PM
  • The default SMTP service will work also.  I use hMail server becasue setup and management is the same on all server platforms.  In Server 2008 R2 the SMTP service is harder to find and configure in my opinion.  But it still works.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Dear Paul,

Tell me one this hmailserver should be install on same sharepoint machine or i should use another machine or can i use local smtp server for queue the mails.

Regards,

Shakeel Shahid

Friday, December 23, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Dear Paul,

Can u plz send me the complete procedure to configure local smtp server for email Queue.

Regards,

Shakeel Shahid.

Friday, December 23, 2011 6:54 AM