locked
550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (from website form) RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there.  I hope somebody can help me with this one.

    We are running an Exchange 2010 server.  We also have a website hosted externally where users can submit info via a form.  The website form sends an email to info@domain.com.  It has been working fine, but all of the sudden, emails from the website are not coming through.  Emails sent to info@domain.com from anything but the website work just fine.  The error message is "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable." 

    I am at a loss as to how to fix this. This happened a couple of months ago.  I spent hours trying to fix it, when *poof*, it just seemed to fix itself.  I couldn't tell that anything I had done even fixed it(and I hadn't done much).

    Here is the full text of the email error message:

    ________________________________________
    From: Mail Delivery System [mailer-daemon@perfora.net]
    Sent: Friday, December 27, 2013 11:19 AM
    To: INFO
    Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

    A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. The following addresses failed:

      <info@domain.com>

    SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:
    host mail.domain.com[76.164.20.91]:
    550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable


    --- The header of the original message is following. ---

    Received: from icpu2798.perfora.net (infong530.lxa.perfora.net [74.208.16.79])
            by mrelay.perfora.net (node=mrus0) with ESMTP (Nemesis)
            id 0Mb6xv-1WCEwr3vhL-00KIuD; Fri, 27 Dec 2013 14:19:15 -0500
    Received: from 64.122.5.254 (IP may be forged by CGI script)
        by icpu2798.perfora.net with HTTP
        id 3ovjx0-1VVVbA3OuE-011ONA; Fri, 27 Dec 2013 14:19:14 -0500
    X-Sender-Info: <169853639@icpu2798.perfora.net>
    Precedence: bulk
    To: info@domain.com
    Subject: Update Owner Info Request
    Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 14:19:14 -0500
    From: Update Owner Info Form <info@domain.com>
    Message-ID: <8695b5d02b44c4eae95033f81b999a98@domain.com>
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.73]
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
            boundary="b1_8695b5d02b44c4eae95033f81b999a98"
    X-Provags-ID: V02:K0:53ln0xw/tvQG8M7ifWOUO4iaRNVVQ/2jTej143S0V/6
     GRlTqQmDPYAeqkJzzZiA4c2yn28akfnnD3XGDQuBU4mWjgGGr1
     JbNurwD0ZL+1a8T6O0hfhVwyZxiaGZkIvYdFjRMVb0p/mZ+WTl
     TAIXGQHL7ov8pwmIfVwRiNuxFnOWignDb8VLJNIJ43klDr0wwE
     BDC/pJUTxAPor11ikmcqgIvBhdnHVYNHCcigEDuIl4hKcFQ+B8
     cxowzMn5zTNz5Esbu7GGlkk6icWV6SFRCSiwqMTtqV1YoawRhW
     ikXUAyVFnBfZLScBES/PmoDItpJxmdE2/+MDZVzSZaZAApTRss
     fNDXreUJEoLfl5YttLeUY1PSkaLg1+6m1mX2RwGZFnVpTL34z5
     p4C4oknHf0lNmoaYTD/H7848a4Bu67bNVE=

    Friday, December 27, 2013 8:18 PM

Answers

  • OK.  It looks like I may have found the culprit.

    After looking through the exchange receive connector logs, I could tell that it was one of our block list providers not allowing the mail to go through.  I went ahead and disabled the spam block lists for this particular account and it tests OK.  I'll get to the bottom of this, just not today because I've been staring at it for 5 hours!

    Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:22 AM

All replies

  • OK.  It looks like I may have found the culprit.

    After looking through the exchange receive connector logs, I could tell that it was one of our block list providers not allowing the mail to go through.  I went ahead and disabled the spam block lists for this particular account and it tests OK.  I'll get to the bottom of this, just not today because I've been staring at it for 5 hours!

    Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:22 AM
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your update.

    If you have any othere question, please free let me know.


    Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, December 30, 2013 5:05 AM
    Moderator