none
My USB Ports are sporadically failing RRS feed

• Question

•  have a dell Precision Mobile Workstation (another name for a clunky heavy laptop) M6600, running Windows 10 X64 Ver 1903.  The computer is about 6 years old, but for the most part it works great. Recently, though, I'm experiencing sporadic USB Port failures on all ports (2 USB 3, 3 USB 2 and a two port USB 3 PCMCIA card).  Sometimes they all work fine, but more and more frequently, they sporadically won't recognize a plugged in device.

I've tried all the standard fixes that I could find on the internet, but none worked.  When I check for new drivers from Dell, I'm told that I have the latest ones; most likely because of the computer's age.  I can't determine if this is a sporadic hardware failure or software.

FWIW I'm including a screenshot of Device Manager; ignore those two "Other Devices", they've been there since the day I bought the computer, and I can't get rid of them, but I do believe that they're a separate issue.

I'll be very grateful for any help.

Capt. Dinosaur

<input id="2237a950-f048-4843-881c-b23649ea56cb_attachments" type="hidden" value="1486874" />                
    Capt. Dinosaur
    Capt. Dinosaur
    Joined  May 2014

Staying Retired
    190 Points

Capt. Dinosaur

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 4:38 PM

Answers

• Ok, you have done enough on Windows(OS) side…

It is a law of nature, any computer even electronic equipment will have something wrong after 6 years’ use, especially USB port this type of often-used place. If you have tried update driver, update system build, change port, reinstall driver and ash cleaning, the only thing you could do is contact manufacturer after-sale support, it should be a hardware issue.

However, your device is not under guarantee

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:59 AM

All replies

• Ok, you have done enough on Windows(OS) side…

It is a law of nature, any computer even electronic equipment will have something wrong after 6 years’ use, especially USB port this type of often-used place. If you have tried update driver, update system build, change port, reinstall driver and ash cleaning, the only thing you could do is contact manufacturer after-sale support, it should be a hardware issue.

However, your device is not under guarantee

Regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Thank you Teemo, that's what I suspected, but wanted a more knowledgeable opinion.

Capt. Dinosaur

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:09 PM
  • Ok, let's wait for some other forum users' ideas. Contact after-sale support worth trying

Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:29 AM