none
Remote Session Limits GPO applied but not working

    Question

  • Hello all,

    I have created and verified application of a GPO to limit disconnected or idle remote sessions to a specific period of time and then to disconnect them if this limit is reached. Although, after testing it numerous times, the GPO is not working. I created and html file using gpresult /scope computer and verified that the GPO is listed. In the scope of the GPMC, domain users, domain computers, and authenticated users is listed. The GPO is also built in User configuration AND Computer configuration. I have tried it just in user configuration but it did not work. I have not tried it alone in computer configuration yet as I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

    Edit: I also forced replication over all the DC and that does seem to be working as well.

    -Tyler


    • Edited by jtsacr01 Monday, August 15, 2016 2:30 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 2:24 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi Tyler,
    Please check if the GPO is listed under Applied Group Policy Objects or not. If not, please share us the detail error message if you could find in the group policy result report by running gpresult /h command.
    And as you said, you can set it in either Computer Configuration or User Configuration and you should set it based on whether you want to target the user (setting applied to any server where the specific user has an RDP session) or to the computer (setting applied to specific server where any user has an RDP session).
    If you set it in Computer Configuration then you should link the GPO to the OU where the computer objects reside.
    If you set it in User Configuration then you should link the GPO to the OU where the user objects reside.
    Here is an article regarding 10 common problems causing group policy to not apply, you could take a look and use for reference:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22457.10-common-problems-causing-group-policy-to-not-apply.aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:00 AM
    Moderator
  • It is listed in Applied Group Policy Objects. I have it set on the computer configuration side and it is applying to
    Domain Computers. So, on the GPO side, the SOM is all Domain Computers but in GPM, it is linked to only our server OU so it should only apply to servers (which, when I run gpresult /scope computer /h xxx.html, it does list it as applied to the server).

    I went through your 10 items. The problem does not seem to be application of the GPO. It is listed. It seems to be that the GPO is not being ran. By the book, everything seems great but when we test it, it does not work.

    This GPO will disconnect any idle RDP sessions within 3 days if no activity. I have tested it twice and it is not working. I will log on a server after 4 days and my session is still active. I have verified that the GPO is applying to this specific server as well and then logged on to make sure the GPO applied to this session specifically.

    I am unsure of where to proceed from here on trying to get this to work.

    Thanks!

    Friday, August 19, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Hi,
    Based on your description, the GPO is applied on the server, but has no affect. In this case, I would suggest you refer to below links to check if correct group policy has been configured:
    Configure Timeout and Reconnection Settings for Remote Desktop Services Sessions
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754272.aspx

    Session Time Limits
    https://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/library/ee791741(v=ws.10).aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Monday, August 22, 2016 2:22 AM
    Moderator