Cannot innstall Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,
    today i received my brand new Acer Aspire 6930G
    I installed windows vista but i wanted XP so i installed it on Drive D: Since disk C: was named Acer and i thought drivers and such was there.
    But now I cant log on to windows XP. And when i try to repair the harddrive with the cd/dvd. I dont come to the part where u can put your harddrive in partitions.

I get a bluescreen:

STOP: c0000139 [entry point not found]
    The procedure entry point EtwEventRegister could not be located in the dynamic l
    ink library ntdll.dll.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your responding.

Clearly that you have installed Windows XP on Windows Vista computer, and after the installation Windows Vista no longer starts, only Windows XP starts. Is it right?

If it is the case, please visit the following website for solutions.

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

Moreover, Windows Vista compatible drivers may not work in Windows XP, you need to download Windows XP compatible drivers from OEM's website. I may suggest that you manually install Windows XP drivers on Windows XP partition and see if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding this issue, blue screen error may need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in this forum. Therefore, I would like to propose some common troubleshooting here. If the issue persists, I may also need to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

To move on, may I ask some questions?

1.     Can you boot in Windows Vista normally? What is the cd/dvd you used to repair the harddrive, Windows XP installation disc or Acer's recovery disc?

2.     Can you manually choose Operating System as a boot priority at the startup? If not, you can boot in Windows Vista and use BCDEDIT to edit the boot configuration. For more information, please visit the following website.

BCDEDIT

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731662.aspx

3.     Do you own a Windows XP installation CD? If so, try to repair the issue manually.

1)     Boot from a Windows XP CD and go for the repair option.

2)     Copy ntdll.dll from C:\Windows servicepackfiles\i386\ntdll.dll to C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

Note: Keep a backup copy of the old ntdll.dll in c:\windows\system32 directory)

3)     Reboot and see if the issue occurs.

Meanwhile, I may suggest that you contact Acer to get recovery disc.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding this issue, blue screen error may need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in this forum. Therefore, I would like to propose some common troubleshooting here. If the issue persists, I may also need to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

To move on, may I ask some questions?

1.      Can you boot in Windows Vista normally? What is the cd/dvd you used to repair the harddrive, Windows XP installation disc or Acer's recovery disc?

2.      Can you manually choose Operating System as a boot priority at the startup? If not, you can boot in Windows Vista and use BCDEDIT to edit the boot configuration. For more information, please visit the following website.

BCDEDIT

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731662.aspx

3.      Do you own a Windows XP installation CD? If so, try to repair the issue manually.

1)      Boot from a Windows XP CD and go for the repair option.

2)      Copy ntdll.dll from C:\Windows servicepackfiles\i386\ntdll.dll to C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

Note: Keep a backup copy of the old ntdll.dll in c:\windows\system32 directory)

3)      Reboot and see if the issue occurs.

Meanwhile, I may suggest that you contact Acer to get recovery disc.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

The problem is that the Vista was preinstalled. So i do NOT have it as my ordinary OS. My PC boots with XP. which i installed at D: drive
    I can still see drivers and such and a Windows folder in the C: drive.
    But the problem is that i dont know how i can use this as my OS again

Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:39 PM
  • what can you start? vista or xp?
    before you told that you can't log on xp
    here that your pc starts with xp...
    where can you see content of your drives from?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:56 PM
  • I can start xp and log on to it. I fixed that
    i see the drives from my hardware which was the problem that i cant see in xp. but i see them on the harddrive
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your responding.

Clearly that you have installed Windows XP on Windows Vista computer, and after the installation Windows Vista no longer starts, only Windows XP starts. Is it right?

If it is the case, please visit the following website for solutions.

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

Moreover, Windows Vista compatible drivers may not work in Windows XP, you need to download Windows XP compatible drivers from OEM's website. I may suggest that you manually install Windows XP drivers on Windows XP partition and see if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:38 AM