Dell PC fail to shut down after Win 10 1803 feature upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a Dell Precision M4500 with 8Gb RAM, 480Gb SSD running Win10 Pro 1709 for  long time without any problems what so ever.
    Yesterday the 1803 upgrade was installed automatically. Now, the PC will no longer shut down properly. The shut down process looks correct initially. I get the blue screen saying "Shutting down..." and the screen goes black, the keyboard backlight is turned off and all activity lights goes dark. But the processor seems to be running full speed as the fan keeps blowing steaming hot air forever, and the power button light stays on. If I touch the keyboard, the backlight comes on, but the screen remains black.

If I longpress the power button, it will of course eventually turn off. It always powers back on normally. There are no error messages in the event log, and there are no abnormal states in Device Manager.

I have tried all possible ways to shut down, but to no avail.

Then I reloaded Win10 Pro 1709 and everything was back to normal. Of course it started the upgrade again, after a while, and I let it finish. Now, the problem is back again.

Obviously, 1803 is still buggy, but what could we expect. The question is - How can I prevent it from upgrading?

Additionally, I found that trying to shut down from Win10 1803 SAFE-Mode also fails. The computer clearly hangs. The spinning wheel freezes while the blue screen still says "shutting down", and the mouse freezes. 

Choosing "Diagnostic startup" from System Configuration (msconfig) makes no differanse. It still refuses to turn off.

Viking

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi all and many thanks for all the suggestions.
    Regretfully, the option "Turn on Fast Startup" doesn't exist on this PC, and I checked 3 other notebooks as well - both with 1709 and 1803 and none of them have that option.
    Hibernation is already disabled and the hibernation file is deleted.

What I found, is that the problem is associated with the UEFI. I downloaded the media creation tool and created a bootable USB stick with 1803. Then I completely wiped the disk, changed the BIOS back to legacy boot, and reinstalled a clean MBR 1803 version, and everything works just fine.
    Then I again completely wiped the disk, changed the BIOS setting to UEFI and rebooted the USB stick using UEFI (INT13) and installed 1803 - and the problem is back; impossible to turn off the PC.

I then (yet again) reinstalled the 1803 legacy MBR and again everything worked OK. then I converted the disk using MBR2GPT and changed the BIOS to UEFI, and the problem came back again.

So my conclusion is that this is clearly linked directly to the UEFI. My BIOS is A16 dated June 2017 and this is the latest version from Dell for this PC (M4500).

I have other Dell PC Model's which I have successfully updated to 1803 using UEFI and they work ok, so I gues there's something with this particular Model (M4500).

Viking

Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:54 PM

All replies

• If you use the notebook as a desktop replacement then you can turn off hibernation.

If you use the notebook for lots of travel and hibernation is important then only turn off fast startup.

This link with text and images may be useful:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

If this fixes the problem then you are set.

If this does not fix the problem then there are other troubleshooting steps.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, we could try the steps below to check.

1. Turn off the Fast Boot Option in Control Panel.
    2. If you install the Intel Rapid Technology service and software, uninstall it to check.
    3. Update your BIOS version and Motherboard driver.

Also you could try the command below to check if it could shutdown.

Shutdown –s –f –t 00

Of course, considering the Update is released recently, to help improve, you could try the built-in "Feedback" tool to submit the issue on your side.

If you want to temporarily block update installation, you could use the settings, group policy to defer it.

How to prevent Windows 10 from installing the April 2018 Update (version 1803)

https://pureinfotech.com/prevent-windows-10-installing-april-2018-update-1803/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Or you could hide it in Control Panel.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-hide-windows-updates-or-driver-updates

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:10 AM
  • Hi all and many thanks for all the suggestions.
    Regretfully, the option "Turn on Fast Startup" doesn't exist on this PC, and I checked 3 other notebooks as well - both with 1709 and 1803 and none of them have that option.
    Hibernation is already disabled and the hibernation file is deleted.

What I found, is that the problem is associated with the UEFI. I downloaded the media creation tool and created a bootable USB stick with 1803. Then I completely wiped the disk, changed the BIOS back to legacy boot, and reinstalled a clean MBR 1803 version, and everything works just fine.
    Then I again completely wiped the disk, changed the BIOS setting to UEFI and rebooted the USB stick using UEFI (INT13) and installed 1803 - and the problem is back; impossible to turn off the PC.

I then (yet again) reinstalled the 1803 legacy MBR and again everything worked OK. then I converted the disk using MBR2GPT and changed the BIOS to UEFI, and the problem came back again.

So my conclusion is that this is clearly linked directly to the UEFI. My BIOS is A16 dated June 2017 and this is the latest version from Dell for this PC (M4500).

I have other Dell PC Model's which I have successfully updated to 1803 using UEFI and they work ok, so I gues there's something with this particular Model (M4500).

Viking

Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:54 PM
  • Which of these options are in the BIOS menu:

Ultra fast boot

Fast boot

Secure boot

CSM

Which of the above were and were not modified for the troubleshooting steps?

Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 4, 2018 1:31 AM
  • Hi All ,

Dell Precision M4500 !

Same laptop model and the problem was same .after upgrade to Windows 10 1803 version , can not shutdown completed .

I tried lots way , still no way out !

Jerry  

Friday, May 4, 2018 5:52 AM
  • @Momominta, regretfully - I do not understand your suggested solution.

What is "Intel Rapid storage" ??
    I have no such thing on my machine.
    Please explain.

Rgds
    Oyvind

Viking

Monday, May 7, 2018 8:29 PM
  • Sir, I cannot say I have found a solution. 

Abandoning UEFI and going back to BIOS is not a solution in my book. 
    Today I have run into exactly the same problem again - this time on a different machine: Dell Latitude E4310.

I think this proves that MS has to do some bug-fixing on 1803.

Regards
    Oyvind

Viking

Monday, May 7, 2018 8:32 PM
  • To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is one file for you to find manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Monday, May 7, 2018 8:38 PM
  • I have an E6510 (which i believe is the same model as  yours) and it has exactly the same problem. BUT if i use the power button it will shutdown correctly with no problems.
    Friday, May 11, 2018 1:50 AM
  • I have the same model with the same issue. Thanks for the tip. What is the power button set to do in power options?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Just posting to follow this thread.

I have a very similar problem with my HP desktop ( H9-1315t) with all HP driver updates current and the newest bios available, except I'm using Windows 10 ( 1709  OS build 16299.431 )  the problem just started yesterday 5-29-2018

my windows update history says the only thing installed was 5-18-2018  KB4134661 

the only thing I installed yesterday was an Apple iTunes update, so I'm going to try uninstalling that iTunes update

• Edited by phillip9 Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:46 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:14 PM
  • I have the same problem on Dell Latitude E6410. Tried all the power management tweaks as suggested, nothing helped. No problems with previous Win 10 versions.
    Monday, July 2, 2018 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my Dell Latitude E6510. After upgrading to Win10 1803, "Shut Down" shuts only the system down but not the computer - the fan and LED light stay on until I hold the shut down button for 4 seconds. I use UEFI Boot. I have turned off Fast Boot in settings. I don't have IMEI installed.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2018 2:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!

My bios is updated to the newest version. Going back from UEFI to Legacy is definitely not the solution I would prefer. Could there be any other possibilites not requiring to downgrade to an older boot standard?

Friday, August 17, 2018 3:07 PM
  • Thanks again,

but when I try to install, it says: "your computer does not meed the mimimum requirements".

I don't actually have Intel Management Engine Interface installed on my computer. There's not even one for my processor available at the Intel download page (My computer uses Intel i7 Q720 processor 1.60 GHz), the minimum is obviously 3.10 GHz processor - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27733/Intel-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-and-Windows-10. I wonder what is my computer using instead of IMEI? Maybe downgrading (or upgrading) that would help.

Thanks again.

Friday, August 17, 2018 3:24 PM
  • Here we go: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7ecc7077-7666-46a6-8eaf-d1def185c38b/dell-laptop-fails-to-shut-down-after-upgrade-to-win10-1803?forum=win10itprogeneral

Friday, August 17, 2018 4:12 PM
  • Hi.

Installation is prohibited, cause it's for win 7...

How to make a force install if I haven't got any IMEI in "computer management" -> "devices".
    I can't use "manual update" and "have disk..." cause I can't find what shall I update...

regards,

bestfil

Saturday, September 22, 2018 8:39 PM
  • Hi all,

I have a Dell Precision M4500 with 8Gb RAM, 480Gb SSD running Win10 Pro 1709 for  long time without any problems what so ever.
    Yesterday the 1803 upgrade was installed automatically. Now, the PC will no longer shut down properly. The shut down process looks correct initially. I get the blue screen saying "Shutting down..." and the screen goes black, the keyboard backlight is turned off and all activity lights goes dark. But the processor seems to be running full speed as the fan keeps blowing steaming hot air forever, and the power button light stays on. If I touch the keyboard, the backlight comes on, but the screen remains black.

If I longpress the power button, it will of course eventually turn off. It always powers back on normally. There are no error messages in the event log, and there are no abnormal states in Device Manager.

I have tried all possible ways to shut down, but to no avail.

Then I reloaded Win10 Pro 1709 and everything was back to normal. Of course it started the upgrade again, after a while, and I let it finish. Now, the problem is back again.

Obviously, 1803 is still buggy, but what could we expect. The question is - How can I prevent it from upgrading?

Additionally, I found that trying to shut down from Win10 1803 SAFE-Mode also fails. The computer clearly hangs. The spinning wheel freezes while the blue screen still says "shutting down", and the mouse freezes. 

Choosing "Diagnostic startup" from System Configuration (msconfig) makes no differanse. It still refuses to turn off.

Viking

I still haven't found option to manually install outdated (WIN7) dedicated M4500 drivers, but I've found that KB4458469 causes problem. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4458469/windows-10-update-kb4458469

Why?

Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:23 AM
  • I had this problem on a Dell E6410 with Ibex Peak platform ( Core i5 560m ) that uses the ME 6.0. No drivers worked on Windows 10 x64. The laptop wouldn't shut down or sleep or hibernate under Windows 10.

I finally solved it after many tries : You have to use MBR partition table. The problem is that when you make a clean install of Windows 10, it defaults to a GPT partion table when booting the installation media in UEFI mode.

So the solution is quite easy : disable UEFI booting, boot the usb key and install ( you may have to "clean" your disk for this to work, procedure is here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-gpt-disk-into-an-mbr-disk )

Be aware that all data on the disk will be destroyed this way.

However you can do it without destroying data using Easus Partition Master ( https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/convert-gpt-disk-to-mbr-disk.html ) Personally I had no other computer so I had to create a bootable Partition master to convert the disk (hence buying the software ) but it works !

Thursday, November 8, 2018 8:50 PM
  • This worked for me.

I have Windows 10 1909. Still the same issue.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 9:32 AM
  • I observed the same problem on UEFI setups past 1803, with installing Windows 10 in legacy mode being the only solution. My machine is not a Dell so I don't think this is a Dell-specific problem; looking through the replies in the thread I'm assuming it's a driver-related issue (i.e. something to do with Windows 10 not being officially supported on Sandy Bridge and earlier processors), my desktop uses i7-2600.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2020 6:01 AM