none
Multiple Harddisks and Apply Operating System Image failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

My customer has got multiple computers with IDE-drives, RAID, SCSI and sometimes a bit of both. I've got a good method of choosing the first IDE-drive to partition and format from the Task sequence. What doesn't work well is if the IDE-drive is lower in the boot-order in BIOS. Then SCCM throws this error during the Apply Operating System Image step:

Unable to locate a bootable volume. Attempting to make C:\ bootable.
       Volume C:\ is not on the boot disk and can not be made bootable.
       Failed to make volume C:\ bootable. Please ensure that you have set an active partition on the boot disk before installing the operating system.
       The request is not supported. (Error: 80070032; Source: Windows)

C:\ is of course partitioned and active. It all works great if the same disk is at the top of the boot order in BIOS next after PXE.

So my question here is - Why doesn't CM allow an OS-installation on a harddrive that isn't at the top of the boot order in BIOS? To my knowledge, it's possible to boot from a harddrive anywhere in the boot order in BIOS - as long as no other drives have an Operating System installed.

I'm installing Windows 7 SP1 from SCCM 2007 R2 by the way.

Regards,
    Mathias

Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:18 AM

All replies

• I'm guessing this is a feature of SCCM to make sure that the correct harddisk boots the applied image? For example, if you apply the image to Disk 1 instead of Disk 0 - and Disk 0 is first in the boot order the installation could fail if disk 0 doesn't boot (and hence SCCM throws the message above for protection).

My opinion though is that BIOS normally skips non-bootable disks and continues to the second disk in the boot order.

Has anyone got any input on this?

Monday, May 7, 2012 8:24 AM