Storage Replica theory questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt126103.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Q1: Shoud it read "Two servers" or there shoud really be 4 servers?

Prerequisites:

A network between the two sets of servers with at least 1Gbps throughput (preferably 8Gbps or higher) and average of ≤5ms round trip latency.

- restricting the write/read speed to each of the SAN/.../DAS to only 8GBps or even to 10GBps (not to speak of 1 Gbps) may lead to tremendous delays in applications in both sites (for example, the write/read speed for a DAS with RAID 10 may be >> then 8-10GBps), so

Q2: Does the benefits of replicating a storage really outweigh the drawbacks of delays?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

• Edited by MF47 Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1: Should it read "Two servers" or there shoud really be 4 servers?
    You're right, Two servers , SRV-01 and SRV-02. It's like the writer copied this from a 4 servers example, and forgot to correct :)

Q2: Does the benefits of replicating a storage really outweigh the drawbacks of delays?

Yes, restricting the Storage Throughput to 8 or 10 Gbit/s may be a drawback for a set of workloads. Note that Storage Replica for Windows Server goal is to avoid you invest on very expensive hardware (SAN with Storage sync for example), and provide you a way to have storage replica using just your current infrastructure.

So:

• If your workloads use less than 10-8 Gb/s throuput, this configuration may be suitable for you
    • If the workloads use much more, you can invest on more rapid networks (2* 10 Gb/s, or fiber-multiplex) to get the desired throughput

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by MF47 Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Q1: Should it read "Two servers" or there shoud really be 4 servers?
    You're right, Two servers , SRV-01 and SRV-02. It's like the writer copied this from a 4 servers example, and forgot to correct :)

Yes, restricting the Storage Throughput to 8 or 10 Gbit/s may be a drawback for a set of workloads. Note that Storage Replica for Windows Server goal is to avoid you invest on very expensive hardware (SAN with Storage sync for example), and provide you a way to have storage replica using just your current infrastructure.

So:

• If your workloads use less than 10-8 Gb/s throuput, this configuration may be suitable for you
    • If the workloads use much more, you can invest on more rapid networks (2* 10 Gb/s, or fiber-multiplex) to get the desired throughput

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by MF47 Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:00 AM
  • Thank you very much, SAMIR!

Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:08 AM
  • Your questions are welcome.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:09 AM