Outlook 2016 Other Contacts loses chosen view RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Customer has Outlook 2016 as part of the Office Home and Business package.  He is a member of an Exchange Online company with 3 users and has his company email account setup in his Outlook.  He has his default contacts folder which seems to work fine.  He also has an "other contacts" folder which is a shared public folder holding company contacts.  When he displays this folder, it always opens in the "People" view.  He wants it to shows the "Business Card" view and switches to that view.  After closing outlook or reading email, when he goes back to that contacts folder, it has reverted back to the People view.

In comparison, his default contacts folder remembers the chosen view when switching windows in Outlook or closing the program.  It comes back to the same view it was left in.

I thought this was a local issue on his machine and went to another user's machine.  I found exactly the same issue with that user's Outlook 2016.

The 3rd user has Outlook 2010 and his Outlook functions as expected.  Both default and "other" contacts remember the chosen view when switching windows or closing and re-opening outlook.

I've looked at all the view management windows in Outlook 2016.  It doesn't allow marking any particular view the "Default" view.  Generally we expect views to be remembered.

I've checked for Office 2016 updates and we are running the latest.  I've done an Office Repair but nothing changed.

Any ideas how to fix this (or is it a known bug)?

Thanks,

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, October 15, 2018 8:05 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2018 1:19 AM

Answers

• NEW INFO--Solution/Work around.

Perry, I had an idea that I tried and it worked.  As mentioned there are 3 users in this company.  The one user who is the Exchange online admin has "owner" privileges for this public contact folder.  He is the user using OL2010 who did NOT have the view issue.  His view of this folder was always remembered.

The other 2 users (OL2016) had "publishing editor" permissions.  I changed both of those (in the Exchange Admin Center) to "owner".  NOW THE VIEW IN THE USERS' OL IS REMEMBERED FOR THIS CONTACT FOLDER!!  Even more interesting, I was able to then modify the permissions back.  I gave one user the same "publishing editor" level she had before and I made the other user "reviewer".  After closing and reopening their OL software multiple times, I find that their view of the public contact folder ("Other Contacts") IS STILL REMEMBERED. 

I can't explain this behavior but I've achieved the desired result.  I hope this info might help others who have this issue.

Ira

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ira Shapiro Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Ira Shapiro,

What’s the detailed version of Outlook 2016?

Does this issue happen to all users?

You can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe3 and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

In case this issue was caused by software conflicts, please try performing a clean boot in Windows to check the result.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:35 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2018 8:05 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Outlook version 1809

Build 10827.20150

AS STATED in my first post, there are 3 users.  Two have OL 2016 and have this exact same issue.  The 3rd runs OL 2010 which remembers the view setting for each and every contact folder.

Clean boot makes no difference.

Outlook /safe is not helpful because the "other contacts" folder does not show in safe mode.  Public folders also do not show in safe mode.

Here is an additional finding:  I tried this on another client's machine (in another office using the same type  Exchange Online setup) and using the same version of Outlook 2016.  The contact view for the "other contacts" folder IS REMEMBERED.  The only difference I can point to is that the problem occurs on systems running Windows 7 Pro and my latest test was on a Windows 10 system.  I am not saying Windows 7 is the cause but just pointing out this difference.  I really need a fix for the Windows 7 customer machines as upgrading that particular client is NOT an option due to some special software that cannot run on Win 10.
    • Edited by Ira Shapiro Monday, October 15, 2018 7:40 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2018 4:43 PM
  • Hi Ira Shapiro,

Generally, the view would be remembered as the last viewed in Outlook folders including public folder.

For your issue, please restart your Outlook by using /cleanviews switch to reset view and then set the view to Business Card to have a try:

1. Please exit Outlook.

2. Press Win key + R to open the Run command, type Outlook /cleanviews and then press Enter.

3. Click public contact folder, click View > Change View > Manage Views.

4. In Manage All Views window, click Business Card > Apply View.

Then check whether the view would be changed or not when you navigate to other folders and back to this folder.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 6:45 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I could not get time on the machine today.  I'll try your suggestion and report back asap.

Ira

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 11:31 PM
  • Perry,

Sorry to report that using the "cleanviews" startup switch did not fix the problem.  After setting business card view on the "other folders", it still reverts back to the people view when switching windows or closing and reopening Outlook.   The default contacts folder DOES remember its view as it did before.  Any other ideas for me to try?

Thanks,

Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried creating a new profile?

Besides, we could also use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) to run tests to resolve many different problems. It can gather the Outlook profile configuration information that's helpful when you troubleshoot problems. For more details, please refer to this link.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, October 22, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I created a new profile and results were the same.  Default contact folder remembers the view but "other contact" folder does not.

I'll look into the SaRA tool.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:13 PM
  • No problem. If there are any issues after running SARA tool, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, October 26, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Hello Perry,

Sorry for the delay.  I ran the SaRA tool on the affected system.  It did not identify any issue but I did run the logging tool and reproduced the issue while recording.  The logs are saved on the system.  I also chose the option to upload the logs to Microsoft but I don't know where they uploaded to!!  

Can you tell me what the next step is?  Is there a portal that you want me to upload logfiles to?

Since this issue does not result in any errors, I'm not sure what the logfile will show.  During recording I switched to view "other contacts" which opened in the People View.  I selected Business Card view and then viewed the inbox.  When I went back to look at "Other contacts" it was back in the People view.  I again switched to business card view and returned to the inbox.  When again viewing other contacts, the view had again reverted to People.  Then I stopped recording.

Please tell me the next step.

Thanks,

Ira

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 12:37 AM
  • Hi Ira,

I've noticed that the newest version released on October was version 1810 (Build 11001.20074).

Please try upgrading Office to the newest version to see if it helps.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, November 2, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I ran the October update but the symptoms are unchanged.  Other contacts still will not remember the chosen view and always starts in the People view.

Could you also answer my questions in my last post regarding the SaRA logs?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ira

Friday, November 2, 2018 2:51 PM
  • Hi Perry,

I'm waiting for your further comments/advice.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:01 PM
  • Hi Ira,

Sorry for the delay. I was out of Office last week.

If possible, you could send the log to the GBSD TN Office Information Collection: ibsofc@microsoft.com. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up.

Besides, if you configure another email account on Outlook 2016 on Win 7, will same error occur?

We can also create a new Windows user to test the result.

I'll try if I can create a new environment of Win7 here to help test this issue. If I get the result, I'll update to you.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, November 12, 2018 5:33 AM
  • Perry,

1. I emailed the logs per your instructions.

2. I mentioned in an earlier post that I have exactly the same issue on another Windows 7 machine with the same (latest) Office 2016 version.  This is for another email user in the same company. Note the company has only 3 users and 3 email boxes.  Two users run Outlook 2016 and have the problem.  One user runs Outlook 2010 and does NOT have the problem.  All run Windows 7 Pro (necessary for certain software compatability reasons).

That means:

-It is a different machine

-It is a different Windows user

-It is a different email account

-It is a different Outlook profile

Also to remind you, a new profile tested for one of the users made no difference.

The only thing common is that the issue is with the "Other Contacts" folder which is a public contacts folder for the company.  It is this same contacts folder that will not keep its chosen view on either machine using it with Outlook 2016.  As additional information, the third user in the company running Windows 7 with Outlook 2010 does NOT HAVE the issue.  On that machine, when the user chooses a view for the "other contacts", the view is remembered.  

Ira

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:15 AM
  • NEW INFO--Solution/Work around.

Perry, I had an idea that I tried and it worked.  As mentioned there are 3 users in this company.  The one user who is the Exchange online admin has "owner" privileges for this public contact folder.  He is the user using OL2010 who did NOT have the view issue.  His view of this folder was always remembered.

The other 2 users (OL2016) had "publishing editor" permissions.  I changed both of those (in the Exchange Admin Center) to "owner".  NOW THE VIEW IN THE USERS' OL IS REMEMBERED FOR THIS CONTACT FOLDER!!  Even more interesting, I was able to then modify the permissions back.  I gave one user the same "publishing editor" level she had before and I made the other user "reviewer".  After closing and reopening their OL software multiple times, I find that their view of the public contact folder ("Other Contacts") IS STILL REMEMBERED. 

I can't explain this behavior but I've achieved the desired result.  I hope this info might help others who have this issue.

Ira

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ira Shapiro Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:07 PM
  • Thank you for sharing the workaround here which will really benefit other users a lot.

For the resource limitation here, I haven’t got a chance to create a new environment with Win 7. I've researched a lot and haven't found related official articles. Currently, you may use this workaround. If I've found anything, I'll post back.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:02 AM