COM Surrogate RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden my new Dell laptop started acting up. I could not run programs and kept getting all kinds of strange messages. I, at first, thought I was dealing with a virus or some sort of malware so I ran a virus check and a malware check. Although no viruses were present, some malware did exist so I disposed of it but am still having problems. So, I thought I may be having hard drive problems and ran two separate diagnostic checks but the hard drive was w/o errors.

Then I opened Task Manager and saw the system performance and memory usage to be maxed out. I checked the processes and found a Com Surrogate entry running around 20 to 30%. Given the Task Manager was the only thing running, I thought this to be a bit strange so I continued to watch the system performance and processes only to find that there were three Com Surrogates running off and on. When the three events were running they were taking up around 90% of the CPU and the memory was maxing out. During these times I could not run any programs or anything else.

I am not familiar w/Com Surrogate so looked it up on line and found a few instances involving specific apps such as those dealing with photos. Even the entries that have posted on this forum did not address the issue I am having.

Does anyone have a clue as to what has happened to my laptop and what is going on with this Com Surrogate issue.

Thanks in advance and have a Happy Halloween.

krp

Friday, October 31, 2014 9:08 PM

Answers

• Will try this on Monday.

After writing the above, searched Com Surrogate on Google vs Bing and found that this could be a malware issue. Have been running Malwarebytes w/o any success in fixing the com surrogate problem.

krp

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:14 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 4:27 PM

All replies

• Update Graphic Card driver to the latest version for Windows 8.1.To do this visit the website of the graphic card manufacturer to download and install the latest driver.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Saturday, November 1, 2014 12:33 AM
  • Will try this on Monday.

After writing the above, searched Com Surrogate on Google vs Bing and found that this could be a malware issue. Have been running Malwarebytes w/o any success in fixing the com surrogate problem.

krp

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:14 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 4:27 PM
  • As we know "COM Surrogate" is the malware issue. so we need to remove this

open Task Manager > right click on COM Surrogate > open file location.

Right click on dllhost.exe > Properties > Security > Trustedlnstaller > advance > click on owner: Change > enter your system name/username > ok > ok

In Security tab

1st: select "Trustedlnstaller" > edit > Trustedlnstaller > uncheck from all permissions > ok

2nd: select "user" > assign all permissions (By check all Allow)

3rd: select "administrator" > assign all permissions (By check all Allow) > apply > yes > ok

Now select COM Surrogate in Task MAnager and press End task.

then select dllhost.exe and Press delete

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:34 AM