none
How do I create a DHOST record? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a domain used for development purposes called my.domain.com.  Due to new IT policies, IT won't add the domain to the VPN DNS search suffix because it ends in .com.

I'd like to create a DHOST record for a domain called my.domain.aba that points to my.domain.com rather than rename my domain or build a new one.

My DNS server is Windows 2008 R2.  When I try to create the DHOST record I fill it out like this:

1. Create new zone my.domain.aba

2. Select my.domain.aba

3. New DHOST record

4. Alias Name (uses parent domain if left blank).  I leave it blank

FQDN: my.domain.aba

FQDN for target domain: my.domain.com

But when I click OK it errors "A new record cannot be created. The data is invalid"

What other steps are required to create this DHOST record?

Thanks!

Friday, October 20, 2017 7:12 PM

All replies

• I was able to get the DHOST record working on a Windows 2012 DNS server but it never worked on the Windows 2008 R2 DNS server.

I found another solution just as good using wildcard records.  I created a new Forward Lookup Zone called my.domain.aba then created a new host record with * in the name and the IP pointing to my DC.

Now all old and new records resolve with both domains.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:32 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here and sharing the resolution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:04 AM