none
Pay staff on exception days RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

For public holidays I have created exception days (non working days) for my resources. Problem is.. although it's a non working day I want to still pay them for their time off. How do I do this?

Sat and Sundays are automatically non working days which I don't want to pay for'

Cheers

Nic

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:57 AM

Answers

• Hello Nic,

IMO, it could be more practical to keep track of paid non-working times defined as exceptions in a separate Excel sheet. Amounts can be calculated with reference to total available hours of a resource with no exceptions. Otherwise, VBA seems to be only way to go.

Regards.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Hi, 

There is not an automatic rule i know of or something for increasing cost on exceptions.

There are some kind of workarounds i can think of but they are specific for each exception situation:

Lets say your resource cost rate is 100$ per hour and he is going out on a 2 days vacation right after the weekend, that means if a day equals 8 hours of work than 2 days are 16 hours and the cost of the vacation you want to pay extra is 16*100 = 1600 $

Suggestions:

Solution #1 -  You can pay the 1600$ by creating a vacation task that it's start and finish dates are the exact days of the vacation (for example: May 14 - May 15) , you do that by creating a task with a 2 edays in the duration field the edays defines a 2 days task that doesn't care about vacations, weekends, exceptions (it overrides the exceptions), then you define the start date as May 14.

The problems that needs to be fixed for this to be perfect are these:

1) The edays tasks are 24h tasks meaning the cost will be 4800$ instead of 1600$ for the resource so total work should be decreased to 16h or 8h per day.

2) Because the task is 24h and the default start time is on (for example) 8:00, the finish time will be 8:00 of the next day meaning the day after the vacation which should be handled regularly.

To resolve this you can do the following:

1.   On Options change temporary the date format to include date and time --> change the vacation task start time to 00:00 (the finish time will change accordingly).

2. Change the Work field to 16h on gantt chart view (entry table) or on task usage view - 8h for each day of the task.   

3. The cost will be what you need.... :)

Solution #2  - Use edays vacation tasks for each day of vacation (2 days = 2 tasks of 1ed each) but assign the resource another cost rate and change the cost rate of the assignment (for each vacation day task) to the fix cost rate.

Steps:

you can add a cost rate for the resource by:

1)  On resource sheet view double click the resource row  

2) go to costs --> choose one of the other rates (b/c/d/e)

3) On per use cost column choose a whole day rate (800$ for example if the resource get paid 100$ per hour)

After you create this rate (one time for every resource you need) you should move into task usage view and double click the resource name under the vacation task --> On general tab change cost rate table to the new one.  the resource will be assigned with a cost of 800$ for the 1 day vacation task.

Note:  I would have opened a unique project for all this vacations and exceptions payments because it will be easier to track and wont add unnecessary date to the project and also if you are looking at the actual cost you need to update those vacation tasks to 100% done for the actual cost to change, but it will also ass actual work that is not really relevant for the original project.

Hope one of the above will help you.... 

Otherwise, calculate your costs in excel or another tool.

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hello Nic,

IMO, it could be more practical to keep track of paid non-working times defined as exceptions in a separate Excel sheet. Amounts can be calculated with reference to total available hours of a resource with no exceptions. Otherwise, VBA seems to be only way to go.

Regards.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Hi, 

There is not an automatic rule i know of or something for increasing cost on exceptions.

There are some kind of workarounds i can think of but they are specific for each exception situation:

Lets say your resource cost rate is 100$ per hour and he is going out on a 2 days vacation right after the weekend, that means if a day equals 8 hours of work than 2 days are 16 hours and the cost of the vacation you want to pay extra is 16*100 = 1600 $

Suggestions:

Solution #1 -  You can pay the 1600$ by creating a vacation task that it's start and finish dates are the exact days of the vacation (for example: May 14 - May 15) , you do that by creating a task with a 2 edays in the duration field the edays defines a 2 days task that doesn't care about vacations, weekends, exceptions (it overrides the exceptions), then you define the start date as May 14.

The problems that needs to be fixed for this to be perfect are these:

1) The edays tasks are 24h tasks meaning the cost will be 4800$ instead of 1600$ for the resource so total work should be decreased to 16h or 8h per day.

2) Because the task is 24h and the default start time is on (for example) 8:00, the finish time will be 8:00 of the next day meaning the day after the vacation which should be handled regularly.

To resolve this you can do the following:

1.   On Options change temporary the date format to include date and time --> change the vacation task start time to 00:00 (the finish time will change accordingly).

2. Change the Work field to 16h on gantt chart view (entry table) or on task usage view - 8h for each day of the task.   

3. The cost will be what you need.... :)

Solution #2  - Use edays vacation tasks for each day of vacation (2 days = 2 tasks of 1ed each) but assign the resource another cost rate and change the cost rate of the assignment (for each vacation day task) to the fix cost rate.

Steps:

you can add a cost rate for the resource by:

1)  On resource sheet view double click the resource row  

2) go to costs --> choose one of the other rates (b/c/d/e)

3) On per use cost column choose a whole day rate (800$ for example if the resource get paid 100$ per hour)

After you create this rate (one time for every resource you need) you should move into task usage view and double click the resource name under the vacation task --> On general tab change cost rate table to the new one.  the resource will be assigned with a cost of 800$ for the 1 day vacation task.

Note:  I would have opened a unique project for all this vacations and exceptions payments because it will be easier to track and wont add unnecessary date to the project and also if you are looking at the actual cost you need to update those vacation tasks to 100% done for the actual cost to change, but it will also ass actual work that is not really relevant for the original project.

Hope one of the above will help you.... 

Otherwise, calculate your costs in excel or another tool.

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:58 PM