none
Excel covers taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• When I open excel and maximize the window, my taskbar still appears.  However, if I open a second excel window and maximize, my taskbar will vanish.  Both windows are open at the same time.  I have the taskbar locked and I have tried restarting my computer.  How do I keep the taskbar always visible and why do only some excel windows cover it?

Since this seemed to confuse people on similar questions, I am talking about the bar you access the start menu from and has the icons of things you have open.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:40 PM

All replies

• Right-Click on the taskbar and select Properties.
    Un-check the 'Auto-Hide the taskbar' checkbox and click Apply.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

If you upgrade Windows 7 from Vista and taskbar not on top of Vista, the setting will also be used in Windows 7.

I suggest that you do a sfc /scannow by the following steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. 
    2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

Note: Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

1. After the process is finished, you may receive a message to tell you the result.

For more details, you can read the official link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

If the issue still persist, you can restart Windows Explorer as workaround by the following steps

1.Right-click any empty area of the taskbar and choose “Task Manager.”

2.In the Task Manager window, switch to the “Processes” tab. Select the “explorer.exe” process and then click the “End Process” button.

3.In the alert window that pops up, click “End Process.”

4.In the Task Manager window, click the “File” menu and then click “New Task (Run…)”.

5.In the Create New Task window, type “explorer.exe” into the “Open” box and then click “OK.”

Hope these are helpful.

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as answers</b> if they help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 11:36 AM