none
Error while opening Local Network Properties in Windows 8.1 "In order to configure TCP/IP, you must install and enable a network adapter card."

Question

• i am creating a local network of just 2 PCs. 1st one is using windows 7 OS and the 2nd one is using windows 8.1 . Error i am facing is when i click on TCP/IP(v4) properties in 2nd PC(win 8.1 pc) it says that ""In order to configure TCP/IP, you must install and enable a network adapter card.". 1st pc is working fine and showing shared drives and files in network but 2nd PC is not showing anything in network because id donot allow me to configure IP settings. 

Please Note that i have also connected WiFi connection to my 2nd PC and that connection is working fine and showing all the TCP/IP Properties correctly without showing any error. 

I have disabled Network adapter in Device manager and installed again but nothing happens. 

Help me in this Please

Thank you!!

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Waqas_301,

“Please Note that i have also connected WiFi connection to my 2nd PC and that connection is working fine and showing all the TCP/IP Properties correctly without showing any error.”

“all i do is connect a LAN CABLE and it shows new network in network and connection settings.”

Based on your description, it seems that your computer has mutiple network connections.

i am creating a local network of just 2 PCs.

Are you connecting the two machines with an Ethernet cable?

For network adapter issue, we could the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.

Path: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories Network Adapter

It seems that the Ethernet network adapter driver has been corrupted. Please refer to the following link to reinstall the Ethernet network adapter driver.

How To Fix Error Message : In Order To Configure TCP/IP , You Must Install And Enable Network Adapter Error In Windows

http://www.ihaveapc.com/2013/06/how-to-fix-error-message-in-order-to-configure-tcpip-you-must-install-and-enable-network-adapter-error-in-windows/

If you are connecting the two machines with an ethernet cable, please disable the wireless network adapter then configure the Ethernet.

Please ensure the IP address assigned to the two machines are in the same LAN. Don’t assign “Default gateway”.

For example:

192.168.1.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

192.168.1.3 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:15 AM

All replies

• "click on TCP/IP(v4) properties" ... on what? Network card or wifi?

Best regards, George

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:29 PM
  • actually i am little unfamiliar to these networking things. all i do is connect a LAN CABLE and it shows new network in network and connection settings. when i click the newly created network name (named as Ethernet) and click Properties, it shows me a a page that has some checkBoxes and there i click TCP/IP to change the IP Address of the network. there it shows the error that in order to configure TCP/IP you must install and enable networ adapter card.
    Please tell me if any other information is required.

Thanks!

Friday, May 13, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Hi Waqas_301,

“Please Note that i have also connected WiFi connection to my 2nd PC and that connection is working fine and showing all the TCP/IP Properties correctly without showing any error.”

“all i do is connect a LAN CABLE and it shows new network in network and connection settings.”

Based on your description, it seems that your computer has mutiple network connections.

i am creating a local network of just 2 PCs.

Are you connecting the two machines with an Ethernet cable?

For network adapter issue, we could the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.

Path: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories Network Adapter

It seems that the Ethernet network adapter driver has been corrupted. Please refer to the following link to reinstall the Ethernet network adapter driver.

How To Fix Error Message : In Order To Configure TCP/IP , You Must Install And Enable Network Adapter Error In Windows

http://www.ihaveapc.com/2013/06/how-to-fix-error-message-in-order-to-configure-tcpip-you-must-install-and-enable-network-adapter-error-in-windows/

If you are connecting the two machines with an ethernet cable, please disable the wireless network adapter then configure the Ethernet.

Please ensure the IP address assigned to the two machines are in the same LAN. Don’t assign “Default gateway”.

For example:

192.168.1.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

192.168.1.3 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:15 AM