Window Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

We are getting the below error in Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard:

The threshold for the Memory\Available MBytes performance counter has been exceeded. The value that exceeded the threshold 

What could be the cause of this error.

Please help to resolve it.

Regards

Sandeep Kumar

Sandeep Kumar

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:05 PM

Answers

• Sounds like you are running System Center Operations Manager and you have exceeded a threshold on one of your rules.

If you are not running SCOM, we will most likely need more information.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:56 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 11:19 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you are running System Center Operations Manager and you have exceeded a threshold on one of your rules.

If you are not running SCOM, we will most likely need more information.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:56 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 11:19 PM
  • Hi,

What is the role of the server in question? I agree with Tim. Looks like SCOM alert to me. Can you provide more info on the issue? 

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:33 AM
  • I have issue with my window server 2008 R2 that some of my running services are consuming more memory.

and we are getting alarm from SCOM.We have configured our server with SCOM.

Is there is any process so that the running services can consume low memory?

IF I will exceed the threshold value the above error will stop or not.

Please help.

Regards

Sandy

Sandeep Kumar

Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:34 AM
  • There are multiple ways to identify the root cause of the issue.

a) OS layer : Complete memory dump, Process explorer (Initial analysis), Performance counters analysis etc..

b) Application Layer : Turn on Application level logging (process level, thread and fibre analysis) , or if the high cpu utilization is occurring within a managed or unmanaged code.

In short there is no direct answer for your problem, and the issue might require analysis of OS source code / Application source code. I would recommend you open up a case with MS if these are prod servers and they will be able to assist you. If you are familiar with understanding and performing User mode and kernel mode debugging, then you might start with

a) get a complete memory dump and analyse the process corresponding to executable.
    b) Understand process stack, CLR memory (if applicable) etc..

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:07 PM
  • "Is there is any process so that the running services can consume low memory?"

That is completely dependent upon the application.  You will need to investigate the application to see if it can be constrained.  Or, you determine that it needs more memory and you change your alert so that it does not alert at a level that is acceptable.

"IF I will exceed the threshold value the above error will stop or not."

As I stated on the first point, you might have to change the alert to test for a different value.

These questions are not really about Windows Server.  You are talking about how SCOM works.  So you might want to post detailed questions in a SCOM forum.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:16 PM
  • What is the recommended threshold value for Window Server 2008 R2?

REgards

Sandeep Kumar

Sandeep Kumar

Friday, August 14, 2015 6:20 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

As Tim mentioned, it is better to post the problem in SCOM forum.

Here is the link for the forum:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-us/home?category=systemcenteroperationsmanager

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 17, 2015 1:51 AM