Windows 7 all browsers constantly crashing and SSD disk has way to much used space than all the folders are combined in size. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a computer and was installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on it. I have a few problems going on. First of all all my browser are constantly crashing (including IE, Firefox and Google Chrome) on random reasons. I checked the conflicts on chrome and there were none conflicting with it. I did the /sparrow thing to clear and fix corruption but that did not work. I've tried making a new user file in Chrome, same results. Another problem I've been having is that my SSD disk that I have Windows installed on shows way to much space being used in My Computer. I checked all the file sizes within it and it is a maximum of 40GB all put togather but My Computer says only 28GB is free of 111GB SSD drive. 

Here are the specs to my computer:

AMD FX 8350 CPU

Mushkin 16GB 1866hz RAM

Gigabyte Radeon R9 270x 4GB VRAM GPU

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 motherboard

600W Amrageddon PSU

120GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD

2TB SSHD Seagate

Anyone know what I can do?

P.S Drive cleanup freed only 500MB and the Recycle Bin is empty

P.P.S I moved the Program files from the SSD to the SSHD (If that matters) Also the download folder.

Saturday, December 27, 2014 2:38 PM

Answers

• Could re-installing Windows 7 and formatting everything fix the problem?

Can you give me a link on instructions of how to check on HDD errors and SSD errors?

You go to the website of the HDD and/or the SSD manufacturer and download the recommended utility they have posted for checking their respective hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:55 AM
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 6:22 PM

All replies

• HH

If you upgraded from a previous OS did you remove the windows.old folder?

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to Onedrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are, backup the key before you do
    Press Win+"R" and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, December 27, 2014 3:13 PM
  • No, I have not upgraded the os. The computer is completely new and all the parts are new out of the box. Including Windows 7 Ultimate

Here is the Errors.evtx : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mk9ki7oh0wtce1t/Errors.zip?dl=0

I have not updated to win 8.1.

All drivers are also up-to-date.
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 3:19 PM
  • HH

1-You can check what is using the space with a free 3rd party tool called Treesize from Jam software

2-I believe you have a hardware issue and here is why.

Event viewer logs show

1-The platform firmware has corrupted memory (see snip)

2-The Browser are crashing because of something called a memory exception (Cx05) see snip

I would check for a BIOS update, configure your system to generate a user mode DMP file and upload it when they crash.  Beyond that there are only a few events in EV (~300).  We can alwasy use more.

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

Copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file, then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file  should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]
    "DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\
    00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

"DumpCount"=dword:00000010

"DumpType"=dword:00000001

"CustomDumpFlags"=dword:00000000

After the app crashes, can you then upload the  dmp file via Windows Live Onedrive or other file sharing site.

The following link has information on using Windows Live Onedrive:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

More info on collecting user-mode dumps:
    »msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···85).aspx

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Saturday, December 27, 2014 3:29 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Is it the RAM that is faulty or which hardware do you think it is?
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 3:33 PM
  • HH

It could be the BIOS, RAM, or something else.  Update the BIOS,  run MEMTEST, and if all clear driver verifier

These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver). 

Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.  Please run verifier  first

If you are over-clocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!! 

If you do not know what this means you probably are not

1-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

2-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)

Saturday, December 27, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Memory support list for your motherboard is here

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3891#memory%20support%20list

Note, besides the small number of verified 1866MHz modules, the following statement

Note: Only one DIMM per channel is supported for DDR3-1866MHz and higher speed as using an AM3+ CPU.

(ie - if you have clocked the RAM at 1866MHZ, it may be worth trying it at 1600 MHz)
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Update : I've been using Firefox and it hasn't crashed. Looks like it is only Google Chrome. I have 2x8GB sticks of 1866MHZ

The ram's name is Mushkin Blackline 1866MHZ = http://poweredbymushkin.com/index.php/component/djcatalog2/item?id=97:992072&cid=4:blackline

Saturday, December 27, 2014 6:54 PM
  • MEMTEST Passed with no errors

BIOS was up-to-date.

Saturday, December 27, 2014 9:41 PM
  • That driver verifier seems kind of overkill for me. My computer has one program that is crashing and I hardly think that it has something to do with BSOD. Only Google Chrome is crashing.
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:59 AM
  • HH

No problem.  Your call good luck

Sunday, December 28, 2014 1:16 AM

Can you give me a link on instructions of how to check on HDD errors and SSD errors?

Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:59 PM

You go to the website of the HDD and/or the SSD manufacturer and download the recommended utility they have posted for checking their respective hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:55 AM
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, it would be better to follow zigzag's suggestion to collect crash dump file. This could help us more effective to find the reason of the crash.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:41 AM