none
Splitting a sharpoint farm into 2 farms i.e. collaboration and project server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have a sharepoint farm with 3 sharepoint servers and a separate MS SQL server. In this sharepoint farm we have the collaboration rooms and the project server.

Is it possible to split this farm in two farms, one for collaboration with 2 servers and one for the project server without installing a new project server in a new farm?

thanks and Kind regards

Murol

Thursday, March 5, 2015 3:09 PM

All replies

• Murol,

As far as I know, I do not think you can just 'split' the farm into two without an actual migration. When you disconnect the server from the farm, the service applications will stop working, because there is no more central admin or config database.

My suggestion would be to build a new farm, and then do a simple database atatch restore migration of Project Server. In my experience, if you plan this well, it should not take you more than 6-8 hours for the entire process, validation etc., I think it is time worth spending as opposed troubleshooting other approaches. 

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:18 PM
  • Hi Murol,

If you have a test environment I would suggest testing the following steps:

- move all services to the two servers that will remain in the collaboration farm

- make sure there are no services running on the server that will be removed from the farm

- run the configuration wizard and remove the server from the farm

- re-run the configuration wizard on the same server and create a new farm

- start/configure the services/service applications in the new farm

- move the project server to the new farm: https://pwmather.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/projectserver-2013-environment-migration-rollover-steps-powershell-ps2013-msproject-sp2013/

Hope this helps

Paul

Friday, March 6, 2015 1:18 PM