Hardware for SBS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're building a small office with 35 workstations,

Few years ago I did MCSE so I jumped on the chance and advise my manager to setup a SBS.

A. except for active directory for policies, what else will I get on the security/backup side?

B. I remember I can move all the "private folders" to the server, but for 30-35 local users (same building) which hardware should I get for good performance. I afraid it will make every computer much slower while trying to get and send all the information.

Right now I don't have a price range, I first need to show my boss the total price and the advantages of that, after that I will (hopefully) get the approval.

Thank you.

• Moved by James Zou Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:45 AM (From:General)
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:13 AM

Answers

• A. You have a build in backup solution. You get exchange and sharepoint. And they get access to their computers at work from the outside.

B. I go for some intel Quad processor with sas disk in a raid10 config for good diskperformance and 20 gb RAM.

You run folder redirection on sbs2011 to get the files works smoothley and good logon performance. A good tip is to use win7 also and take advantage of ipv6 for nice speed.

If this was helpful please give a "vote" or/and mark as "answer".

Jimmy Svensson. IT Konsult Göteborg Sverige. MCTS SBS Server Configuration MCTS Windows 7 Configuration.
    • Proposed as answer by James Zou Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Zou Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:20 AM

All replies

• A. You have a build in backup solution. You get exchange and sharepoint. And they get access to their computers at work from the outside.

B. I go for some intel Quad processor with sas disk in a raid10 config for good diskperformance and 20 gb RAM.

You run folder redirection on sbs2011 to get the files works smoothley and good logon performance. A good tip is to use win7 also and take advantage of ipv6 for nice speed.

If this was helpful please give a "vote" or/and mark as "answer".

Jimmy Svensson. IT Konsult Göteborg Sverige. MCTS SBS Server Configuration MCTS Windows 7 Configuration.
    • Proposed as answer by James Zou Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Zou Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:20 AM
  • In addition to vind-surfer's comments, you should consider putting an Anti-Virus software solution on the server.

Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia - http://blog.powerbiz.net.au
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:02 PM
  • I would say go for Intune for the clients, then you have windows 7 enterprise + AV. And just clean you mailtraffic with a filter before reaching the server. If you like a local AV server put this on a diffrent machine.

Boon Tee, Don't you experience problem with alot of AV solutions running their managemenconsole on SBS servers?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:34 PM
  • I mainly use TrendMicro, and their console appears to work well. There were some early issues which appear to have been fixed.
    Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia - http://blog.powerbiz.net.au
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:35 PM