Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 misreports 16GB of installed RAM instead of 2GB RRS feed

• Question

• I am reconditioning an old machine. It has been a very stable Win XP Home 32 for several years. I decided to make two changes to the configuration, I loaded Windows Vista 64 Ultimate and I put 2x1 GB PC3200 memory in it (Corsair VS1GB400C3).

The machine loaded fine with Vista and it took the Vista 64 motherboard drivers from the vendor download page just fine. I also ran a whole bunch of Windows updates, including SP2 without a single problem. The machine appears stable, although I haven't loaded anything else on it yet.

The problem is the Basic System Information panel incorrectly reflects that I have 16 GB of memory instead of the 2GB installed.

I swapped out the memory for the 2x512 MB older PC2700 I have (Kingston KVR333X64C25/512) and the machine boots fine, and now the System information reflects I have 2GB instead of 1GB.

I turned on the slow boot and watched the memory check and in both cases the POST memory test correctly reflects the 2GB or 1GB, depending on what I have installed.

It does appear that the Windows Task Manager correctly reflects the installed memory, even though the System Information panel is wrong.

Does anyone think this will present a problem going forward?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:35 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Service Packs/Windows Server 2008 Service Packs)
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:15 PM