none
summary tasks won't open by clicking +; cycling Show Outline Symbols removes task name fill RRS feed

• Question

• I came in this morning and tried to open one of my summary tasks by double-clicking on the + at the begining of the task name, but it was unresponsive (it opens the task info window).  I already know that a quirk with 2010 is that you can't double-click open a summary if a filter is applied, so turned off all filters.  Still nothing.  I was finally successful in opening the summary by adding the + sign to my ribbon and clicking the + there after selecting the task. 

I then wanted to see if cycling Outline Symbols would help.  I cycled the Outline Symbols function and noticed that turning off Show Outline Symbols removes all cell fill color in the task name field; fill in other columns is completely unaffected.  I have no clue as to why fill color for task names would be attached to the Show Outline Symbols function.

I went thru all of the options functions and couldn't determine any settings that seemed out of place.  I am not sure why all of this suddenly started this morning.

I think I am ready for the weekend and a stiff drink.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

This is not a Bug and it has been acting similarly on previous versions also. The Idea Behind Outline Symbol is - it depicts the hierarchy of tasks with respect to the levels of hierarchy in a plan. These Hierarchies are tied to tasks directly. Outline Number/Symbols could be used in a context to represent information in Formatted Text manner; Say Outline 1 listing all Summary Tasks could be formatted in Green, Outline 2 in Yellow etc. So when you toggle through Outline Symbol -> it removes the hierarchical details (but logical sequence stays) hence the formatting attached to it, therefore Task Names lose their format while rest of the Columns maintain it. This is 1 e.g, there can be many.

Sapna S

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:04 PM

All replies

• I closed Project without saving.  I then discovered that a co-worker was in the file adding stuff after I went home last night.  I initially had opened the file from my cache.  So I closed Project, re-opened the Server, then cleared my cache.  I re-opened the file and now cycling of summary tasks works as expected, but cycling the Outline Symbols box still turns off fill color for Task Names.  Weird.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:23 PM
  • You can refer to similiar thread : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/fd7df133-b3d4-412d-b5f4-ab19c0435282

Sapna S

Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Sapna - many thanks.  As it turns out, there was a Microsoft security patch waiting for me when I got in this morning, so I am not sure whether the two things are related.  I am still convinced that the issue was a lack of synchronization between the version that I had opened from my cache and the version that my coworker had saved to the Server last night. 

With regards to the fill color being attached to cycling of Outline Symbols, I have some more information.  Turn off outline symbols and try to apply fill color to any cell under Task Name --- it won't let you.  Now apply the Outline Symbols and the fill color that you were trying to apply suddenly appears.  I have been trained on OOD and I am mystified why cell color would be attached to outline symbols as an object attribute. 

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Great that you were able to fix the issue. Thanks for sharing further details.

Sapna S

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Sapana - I would say that we are half answered... the Summary Bars are opening normally.  Would you agree that the fact that cell-fill for task names only works when Outline Symbols are applied is a bug?
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Chris, can you provide the steps you are following, also, what do you mean by fill color and a snapshot of it, so that I can suggest on it. For me Fill Option works perfectly either way.

Sapna S

Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Here is an example of cell fill applied while Outline Symbols are shown.  As can be seen, we can have fill in either task name or another column, such as Start.

Now observe what happens to the fill in task name when we turn off the Outline Symbols:

This appears to be a bug.

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Hi Chris,

This is not a Bug and it has been acting similarly on previous versions also. The Idea Behind Outline Symbol is - it depicts the hierarchy of tasks with respect to the levels of hierarchy in a plan. These Hierarchies are tied to tasks directly. Outline Number/Symbols could be used in a context to represent information in Formatted Text manner; Say Outline 1 listing all Summary Tasks could be formatted in Green, Outline 2 in Yellow etc. So when you toggle through Outline Symbol -> it removes the hierarchical details (but logical sequence stays) hence the formatting attached to it, therefore Task Names lose their format while rest of the Columns maintain it. This is 1 e.g, there can be many.

Sapna S

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Sapna - I will accept your explanation, but I don't agree with the logic behind this "feature".  We use the Outline symbols to facilitate opening/closing of summary bars, but we have a practice of hiding those symbols to do screen captures for presentation purposes.  It would be nice to color some rows for visual separation.  Microsoft should allow the user to determine if they want to toggle the fill color.  I guess we could bypass this "feature" by creating a text field that replicates the task name and indentation structure for the purposes of presentation, but I am not feeling that energetic at the moment...
    Monday, May 21, 2012 1:28 PM