none
SCCM PXE Boot Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello forum,
    I have a really weird behavior of my SCCM PXE boot environment. In principle, the PXE boot works. But it comes to crashes as soon as I want to install more than two devices at the same time. The download of the PXE boot image then crashes at any further system.

Does anyone know this problem and can help me?

Kind regards
    Udo

News from Forum

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:19 PM

Answers

• Do you have any changes in your BIOS for example are you using anything like Secure Boot, UEFI?
    This error can happen if certain hardware changes can interfere with the boot. Sometimes a new hard disk can do it, or issues with the network card.

But this depends on your scenario. How far does it get to loading the boot image before it does this? If down to two machines at the same time could be a network issue where downloading the boot image off TFTP on both machines is causing issues.

Does the SMSPXE.log show your physical addresses of your machines atleast? Have you tried to reduce the TFTP block size maybe on the DPs?

Website: www.walshamsolutions.com Technical Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/technical-blog Personal Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/personal-blog Twitter: Dwalshampro

• Marked as answer by aladin4711 Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:54 AM

All replies

• Crashes...or hangs ?
    Are you using Multicast ?
    What does smspxe.log (usually found in the SMS_DP$ share) say on the PXE-enabled Distribution Point ?
    Does it fail on downloading the WinPE image or just before that?
    Have you been tweaking the RamDiskTFTPWindowSize or RamDiskTFTPBlockSize settings in the registry on the DP ? If so, return them to defaults and try again.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:54 PM
  • none of ths updates installed. and already tried the workaround. no success. any other suggetions.

News from Forum

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:50 PM
  • I would assume bad nework cables, switch/port problems, connection problems..
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:58 PM
  • What do you mean by "crash?"

The machine gets a "blue screen?"

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:50 PM
  • I get this errormessage, but not ervery time. It starts whe i try to stage the third system.

News from Forum

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Look at the SMSPXE log file. That should tell you why your PXE boot is failing.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Hey,

there is no error in the SMSPXE.log :-(

News from Forum

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Does your WinPE image have the correct drivers for the failing system ?
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:11 AM
  • if the boot image would miss drivers it would fail every time, not after the second time. Am i wrong?

News from Forum

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:33 AM
  • In your post you mentioned it worked for 2 systems and failed for any subsequent ones, you didn't mention if the failing one has the same hardware configuration as the previous 2.

Depending on your supplier, you may have 2 systems of the exact same make/model but with a different network adapter. 

Another thing you could check is if the time and date in the bios is correct on the system that fails. 
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:46 AM
  • Do you have any changes in your BIOS for example are you using anything like Secure Boot, UEFI?
    This error can happen if certain hardware changes can interfere with the boot. Sometimes a new hard disk can do it, or issues with the network card.

But this depends on your scenario. How far does it get to loading the boot image before it does this? If down to two machines at the same time could be a network issue where downloading the boot image off TFTP on both machines is causing issues.

Does the SMSPXE.log show your physical addresses of your machines atleast? Have you tried to reduce the TFTP block size maybe on the DPs?

Website: www.walshamsolutions.com Technical Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/technical-blog Personal Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/personal-blog Twitter: Dwalshampro

• Marked as answer by aladin4711 Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:54 AM
  • i set registry keys to adjust the TFTP block size. That did it. Thanks.

News from Forum

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:37 PM