I can make IE 9 crash and bring down Windows 7 OS too! Guaranteed (for me) RRS feed

• Question

• I have discovered a way to consistently crash Windows 7 on my brand new HP Pavillion and using IE 9:

(1) Go to a website on which you have a login to some feature, with the site being an ASP.NET site. Log in. Site should use .NET Membership Provider and the loginstatus control. Login will work.

(2) Site should use LoginStatus control to log out. If the loginstatus is set to use the 'Refresh' method on logout, IE will go into a spin state. No further websites can be started on any new IE instances or tabs. Symptom in IE 9 is continual spin icon and no response page display.
    (3) Within a few moments Windows will not respond to window close button clicks. Other user input begins to go dead.
    (4) Soon Windows pointer will freeze up. Taskmanager can not be invoked. Cold reset is the only option to resstart Windows.

I have verified this on at least 4 different web sites and behavior of systems on Windows 7 is consistent with regard to crashing.

Any suggestions?

Friday, December 9, 2011 4:10 AM

Answers