none
DPM 2007 dpmsync -sync fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I'm having issue restoring DPM database from bak file.  I followed instructions according to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808769.aspx.  Database restore completes but when i run dpmsync -sync I get the following error message:

Unhandled Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BE): T

he remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 e

rrorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.CProxyUtils.HandleErrors(I

nt32 hr, tagSAFEARRAY* exceptionResult)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.RestoreDbSyncServicesProxy

.RestoreDbSynchronize(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean* isExternalVolumeMissin

g)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.CoreServicesProxy.RestoreD

bSynchronize(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean& isExternalVolumeMissing)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.RestoreDbSync.RestoreDbSync.SyncF

unction(Boolean reallocateReplica, Boolean& isExternalVolumeMissing)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.RestoreDbSync.RestoreDbSync.Main(

String[] args)

I was wondering if anybody encountered this issue and how to resolve.  DPM was crashing after an old tape drive was removed and we have about 3TB of replicas still intact.  I hate to lose all those backup.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:45 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately dpmsync -reallocatereplica fails as well.  I get the following error message:

Replicas cannot be reallocated as DPMDB has not been synchronized with the environment.  Rum DpmSync -Sync to synchronize and then run DpmSync -ReallocateReplica.

However I cannot get pass dpmsync -sync thats where i get the UnhandledException error message.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Hi Mike great news, good thing I had an older backup of the DPMDB on tape from September.  I created a VM server to test and installed DPM with no hotfix.  It successfully restored.  DPMsync ran fine but of course I could not reallocate the replica since it does not exists on the test VM. 

So for the actual DPM server, i re-installed IIS, SQL and DPM again with no hotfix.  Same result, dpmsync worked with the older backup but did not work with the latest backup.

Only difference I can see is with the tape backup, it backed up the mdf and ldf database file.  So I can to reattach to an empty SQL database and export it as .bak.  I guess something must be wrong with the latest backup I've created using dpmbackup.exe -db.  But thanks again for your time in helping out with this situation.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:11 AM

All replies

• Looks like DPM Disks are missing - Are the DPM Disks still online in disk management (online and healthy) and are they showing up in the DPM Storage pool ?

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Yes the partition is showing up in disk management as the appropriate replicas.  I've re-installed DPM with the previous hotfixes.  DPM storage pool lists the correct Used and Unallocated space but not sure how to reassign the replicas to the protected servers.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Well - try running dpmsync -reallocatereplica command and see if that works.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Unfortunately dpmsync -reallocatereplica fails as well.  I get the following error message:

Replicas cannot be reallocated as DPMDB has not been synchronized with the environment.  Rum DpmSync -Sync to synchronize and then run DpmSync -ReallocateReplica.

However I cannot get pass dpmsync -sync thats where i get the UnhandledException error message.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Try rebooting the System - sometimes that gets past the problem, especially if you installed a DPM patch but didn't reboot yet. I will research if we have any other solution.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Hi Mike great news, good thing I had an older backup of the DPMDB on tape from September.  I created a VM server to test and installed DPM with no hotfix.  It successfully restored.  DPMsync ran fine but of course I could not reallocate the replica since it does not exists on the test VM. 

So for the actual DPM server, i re-installed IIS, SQL and DPM again with no hotfix.  Same result, dpmsync worked with the older backup but did not work with the latest backup.

Only difference I can see is with the tape backup, it backed up the mdf and ldf database file.  So I can to reattach to an empty SQL database and export it as .bak.  I guess something must be wrong with the latest backup I've created using dpmbackup.exe -db.  But thanks again for your time in helping out with this situation.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Oh - that's great news - I'm glad your back in business.

Cheers.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Hi LDAR0310

An easy way of having your DPM database (DPMDB) in a good state is to schedual an task that dumps it and moves it to another location.

Look at this blogpost: http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/09/disaster-recovery-of-dpm-server-made.html

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:54 AM