Problems with Vista Home Premium 64-bit and 4 GB RAM (KB929777 won't install) RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a computer for a friend of mine. Here are the basic specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz
    4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM in dual-channel mode (2 x 2GB)
    ASUS P5N-E 650i SLI motherboard
    GeForce 9600 GT
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1

When we had all 4 GB of RAM installed, Windows would occasionally randomly crash, and games (we mostly used Supreme Commander and Unreal Tournament 3 to test, but it seems to occur with any game) would consistently crash less than five minutes into a game (including load times and menu navigation). When we pull out one stick of RAM and lower it to 2 GB, everything works great and nothing crashes. I tried installing the KB929777 patch, most of the forums I ran into said installing it fixes the problem. However we have been totally unable to install it! When we run the installer, it gives a message box saying "This patch does not apply to your system." I ran into a forum somewhere suggesting that the patch has been updated and it should be installed and re-installed. I poked around through the installed updates window--I don't remember how I got there--and found that the KB929777 patch was already installed. So I uninstalled it, rebooted the system, and tried to reinstall it. Same exact error: "This patch does not apply to your system." I checked the installed updates again and it was definitely no longer on the system. Games still crash. Windows Update does not seem to push out this update, at least to his computer.

Other than that one patch, Windows is fully up-to-date, drivers are recent, and the BIOS version is also the most recent (had to flash for E8400 support). We also tested each stick individually and they have no defects. For now he's just running with 2 GB in and everything's great, but he has $50 worth of RAM just sitting on his shelf and both of us would really like to find an answer to this problem.

For reference, my own PC is nearly identical, though I run Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I physically have 4 GB of RAM but only 2.7 GB shows up in Windows, and I never ever have random crashing or BSOD problems.

I would greatly appreciate any help/tips/etc that anyone can provide. Please don't just tell me to install KB929777, we spent an entire weekend trying to do that and we couldn't.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:32 AM

Answers

• 32-bit operating systems can not use 4GB of memory.  The operating system can track a maximum of 4GB but some of this has to be reserved for other sytem devices, like a video card.  Bottom line is most 32-bit systems will be able to use only around 3 GB of memory. See this MS article  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us.  The only way to use all 4GB is to switch to a 64-bit operating system.

My ASUS BIOS has two setting for enabling mapping at 4 or more GB.  Check yours out.  I had some crash problems with with Vista 64 SP1 with 4 GB.  They occurred only when playing Team Fortress 2.  It turned out to be a problem caused by my Creative X-Fi  not Vista. Unfortunately, a lot of things can cause crashes and most of the time they are not the operating system.   

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:13 AM

All replies

• Hey, I was having the same prob on a new rig I had built. It was built with just 2 Gig DDR3, Vista 64 Premium and ran fine, I upgraded to 4GB and things went Pete Tong. Computer would freeze, crash, slow, just basically turned into a diffrent PC.

Anyways, I have recently had it running fine on 4GB. Just flashed new BIOS, clean install of Vista with only 2GB in, got everything updated and running sweet with SP1 on, then put the other ram in. No problems at all, but only shows 2.7GB however.

Anyone know if this is right or can I change some settings in my BIOS to enable the full 4GB?

Cheers
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:47 PM
  • 32-bit operating systems can not use 4GB of memory.  The operating system can track a maximum of 4GB but some of this has to be reserved for other sytem devices, like a video card.  Bottom line is most 32-bit systems will be able to use only around 3 GB of memory. See this MS article  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us.  The only way to use all 4GB is to switch to a 64-bit operating system.

My ASUS BIOS has two setting for enabling mapping at 4 or more GB.  Check yours out.  I had some crash problems with with Vista 64 SP1 with 4 GB.  They occurred only when playing Team Fortress 2.  It turned out to be a problem caused by my Creative X-Fi  not Vista. Unfortunately, a lot of things can cause crashes and most of the time they are not the operating system.   

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:13 AM
  • [MY SYSTEM]
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz (3.51GHz Overclocked)

Mobo: ASUS Striker II NSE NVIDIA nForce 790i SLI
    Mem: OCZ Technology DDR3 4x1GB PC3-10666 1333MHz Platinum Edition
    Video: MSI GeForce 8800GTS 512MB 700/2000MHz
    HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB / Western Digital GreenPower 500GB

I had the exact same problem. Stable on 2GB, games freeze in 5-30 minutes on 4GB. None of the patches off the Windows site or updates had any effect, one seemed to temporarily work and then all hell broke loose again.

I have, however, managed to keep my computer stable for the last hour or so, running Sins Of A Solar Empire usually crashes in under 30 minutes on 4GB, but it's been over an hour and no crash yet.

There appears to be two solutions for this problem.

1) Remove the additional RAM and simply run on 2GB or 3GB until a patch is released by Microsft to fix the issue.

2) Change the voltage settings for your RAM. I cannot tell you which will work for your system, how ever I can tell you that fiddling with the voltage changes system stability for the better. I overclocked my RAM to a 1560MHz frequency (along with my CPU overclock to 1560FSB) and this has kept my system stable thus far.

Please note that overclocking can damage your system if you do not have sufficient coolant devices for each component.

Hope this helps anyone who reads it.
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

I've had the same problem for the last six months and have lost hours of my life trying to fix it: but I finally did, here was my situation:

My SPECS

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ @ 3.0 GHz
    4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM in dual-channel mode (2 x 2GB) - Slot 1 and Slot 2
    ASUS M2A-MVP motherboard
    GeForce 8800 GT
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1

(Similar eh?)

Situation: So with 4 gb RAM (2 sticks) installed, I couldn't install, boot or run Vista x64. With 2 gb everything was fine.

First thing I tried: Ram was bad? Unlikely, although that was what most of the suggestions were in almost all the forums I went to. But a quick way to try it was just to swap between the two sticks to see if the system booted or ran on the 1 stick of 2 gb ram.

Second thing: BIOS, this was important, especially for certain motherboards (ASUS being one of them). So I updated it. For ASUS I found the auto-updater useless, have to do it the old fashion way (with the ROM in CD or something and flash it, I did it a while back so don't know the procedure but its easy to find online)

Third thing: The KB929777 patch is useless for people who already have SP1 (already installed). And is useless anyways because you can't install it when you have 4 gb in the system (since you can only go to safe mode: and it won't let you install in safemode). And you can't install it when you only have 2 gb in the system.

Fourth thing: Tinkering with RAM settings, I'm not smart enough, so I didn't even try that. And people always suggest to reduce/underclock the RAM but never tell you how; and searching online for how to underclock RAM is almost impossible to understand.

Fifth thing (and the successful method): Trial and error with BIOS memory settings: For my motherboard at least M2A-MVP, I went into BIOS and went into North-bridge configuration --> Memory Configuration --> and DISABLED RAM remapping. AND THEN THERE WAS LIGHT. I've read a couple of theards saying that its the opposite but for me it worked. I was taking a risk, because I probably could have screwed my whole system up, but its your risk.

Everything works, and I hope this helps you on your quest.

Cheers,
    SmokeyDX
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:02 PM
  • i too have this problem.  I built my PC 5 months ago and was working perfectly with all 4gb of RAM, these past few weeks my PC has been crashing with 4gb, take 1gb out and it works perfectly.  I already installed that update ages ago when i first installed the OS.  Now i try to reinstall it and it says the same thing u get "This patch does not apply to your system".

im thinking of doing a complete format and see what happens.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:04 PM
  • now ive removed 1gb of RAM and a couple of blue screen of deaths later its ok, but now its showing in system just 2gb RAM Surprise
    Monday, December 1, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Here s my problem....
    bought hp pavilion dv2842se --4 gb ram--about 4 month ago, worked fine till a week ago.
    my windows wont boot up anymore and its only say file header checksum does not match file computed n bla bla...

I tried to recover it with system recovery from hp which is do clean install. Solve the problem? nope....
    update bios......Not help at all....
    reset CMOS......Not help either...
    thought something wrong with my RAM.....well its half right...
    i take 1 of 2gb ram so my notebook run with only 2 gb ram..n it work just fine....but when i add another 2 gb it does not boot up and it say BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot.

i am using vista64 service pack 1 so patch kb929777 wont work......try to set ram from config...
    it wont allow me to....

anyone here can help...please
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:16 PM
  • I have had the same problem for months. Fixed it last night.
    Go into BIOS and set the ram voltage to + 0.2
    Probem sorted, 1st time boot and no crashing. Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:50 AM
  • I spent a few hours on this before I figured it out.  Now it all seems so simple.  It worked for me and it is way better then the advice I got to remove ram or fool my system into thinking it had less ram.
    Go to Start - Control Panel - Programs and Features.
    In the task menu on the left hand side of the screen click on 'Veiw installed updates'
    Scroll down to find the windows update KB929777, right click on it and hit uninstall.
    Restart your computer
    Go to Windows update (It is in your start menu) and check for updates if it is not already waiting for you.  Install KB929777 and this time it should work fine.
    Good Luck
    Brandie
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Smokey is correct. I tried out disabling the RAM Remapping in my BIOS and Windows 7 started with no problems. So this applies to both OSes. Thanks for the tip.

Sunday, November 8, 2009 6:19 PM