Filtering via Web Part connections doesn't work correctly RRS feed

• Question

• When using Web Part Connections for Filtering – the filtered list is always one step behind the filter applied.

This occurs if the filter provider is another List View Web Part or one of the built in Filter Provider web parts like Choice Filter or Text Filter.

This doesn't occur if you add the web parts onto their own wiki page (as opposed to adding a filter web part directly to the default page created for a List / View).

I've verified the same behaviour on 365/SharePoint Online 2013 preview and SharePoint 2013 Foundation on premise RTM.

To Reproduce

You can see a video of these repo steps here - http://screencast.com/t/kcG8trCAJOx

• Create a new custom list called “Lookup”. Leave just Title column and add 3 records A, B, C
    • Create a new custom list called “Test”. Add a new lookup column into that list called “Lookup” get Information from Lookup list and Title column.
    • NOTE –This doesn’t just occur with lookup list/columns (it will occur when filtering via web part connections to  any list) – it’s just the easiest way to demonstrate this.
    • Click “Edit List”, add some sample data – set some rows to A, some to B.
    • Stop Editing List
    • Verify that applying filters via the list Headers works OK.
    • Edit Page > Add a Web Part > Apps > Lookup > Add (add the list you created earlier to the page)
    • Click the web part menu of the Test List > Connections > Get Filter Values From > Lookup
    • Provider Field Name = Title
    • Consumer Filed Name = Lookup
    • Click Page (on ribbon) and Stop Editing
    • Now setup to demo problem.
    • Click the <> arrows next to B on the Lookup list – this sends the filter of “B” to the Test list.
    • However, notice that the Test list is showing the A items (which was the orig filter sent before you clicked B).
    • Click the Test list Lookup header to see which filters are applied – it doesn’t show anything.
    • Click the <> arrows next to A on the Lookup list – see how its now show the last item clicked (B) rather than the current item (A)

(Cross posted to SharePoint 2013 online preview group as it occurs in both 365 preview and on premise RTM release - http://community.office365.com/en-us/preview/forums/717/p/78779/303587.aspx#303587)

Pentalogic Technology - Web Parts for Microsoft SharePoint www.pentalogic.net

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• I've discovered that if you enable Miscellaneous > Server Rendering on the Filter Consumer web part this problem no longer occurs.

• Marked as answer by Pentalogic Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:40 PM

All replies

• Bump?

Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Please check if this helps

On the 'test' web part,

Edit Web part->Ajax opt ->Enable Async update->apply->OK

Now refresh the page and check, if you do not see the change immediately, allow 30s to 60s

• Edited by MaheshKV Tuesday, January 1, 2013 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 3:47 PM
  • @MahashKV 

That kind of works but its pretty unusable as a workaround - think about it if you were using Google

* You put in your search term and hit Search

* You see some different (incorrect) results

* You wait for a half a minute and the page refreshes - now you see what you wanted.

Would you use an app like that?

Also - your adding a lot of extra load to your servers - as it will keep needlessly refreshing every x seconds whenever anyone is on the page.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:06 PM
  • I submitted a ticket to MS Product Support about a month ago (112121410081741) and its been confirmed as a 'known issue' (aka bug).

No public record yet but others have reported it too and it may be corrected in the next Cumulative Update

• Marked as answer by Pentalogic Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pentalogic Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:08 PM
  • I've discovered that if you enable Miscellaneous > Server Rendering on the Filter Consumer web part this problem no longer occurs.

• Marked as answer by Pentalogic Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:40 PM

Many many thanks!

I was working on the same problem the last few hours and it was not so easy to find this post.
    Its also working for me!

Normally I would use SharePoint Designer and parameter bindings to reach this goal. But since Microsoft removed the Designer view in 2013 it is no more possible to do this!... Its a shame...

EDIT: If you allow me then I will put a link in my thread to your solution!

Regards, Simon

• Edited by Simon-MCP Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:42 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:40 PM
  • We are experiencing the same kind of issue with the connection provider mecanism but in Sharepoint 2010. We have found this post really interesting since we haven't found any other related post elsewhere. Since it has been confirmed as an issue in 2013, can it also be present in Sharepoint 2010? Also, the solution provided cannot be applied to Sharepoint 2010 because the option does not exist.

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:25 PM
  • I agree that this solves the problem of the disfunctional filter webpart. Unfortunately, this also does away with the view selection in the filtered consumer webpart - so you can really only use this in a context where there is only one view.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:19 AM

I have had the same kind of problem with a Visio web part and a list and this solved it. Thanks a lot!

Staffan Söderholm

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:51 PM

Pentalogic, this seems to work, however if I use this with tasks that are hierarchically displayed, the style loses it's hierarchy and is rendered only as flat.
    Friday, February 21, 2014 7:46 AM
  • I've just seen that too.

You would think that Microsoft could at least acknowledge this obvious bug even if it can't be fixed - but no, brick wall time...

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Thanks It help me :) Cheers
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Problem occurs based on this ,Miscellaneous > Server Rendering on the Filter Consumer web part .This problem will Solve
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:11 PM
  • Unfortunately, this does not work for me. I tested it with SharePoint 2013 on several servers and with the online version. Any other idea? I think the problem is, that after filtering the list no element of the list is selected. The same problem occurs with cascading connected webparts (if you have three connected lists, the third list is not updated, because in the second list nothing is selected). It would help, if the first element of a list would be selected after a refresh.

SGE

Sunday, May 15, 2016 1:38 PM
  • no way that will fix the issue

Fadi Lteif (www.arguily.com a must after coding)

Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:36 PM
  • not true

Fadi Lteif (www.arguily.com a must after coding)

Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:36 PM