none
Microsoft Project Work Calcualtions RRS feed

• Question

• It is my understanding that Microsoft Project calculates work by multiplying duration times resources.  So for example if I were to have 15 days and 4 people working 8 hour shifts for 15 days then it should take 480 hours.  However my project estimates it as 448 hours.  This hours total also affects the duration in Microsoft project 2018.  As I have assignments to use this, it would seem frustrating to me that with my entered in calculations once I leveled it saying ~314 days and my friends with the same entered information saying 311, it causes issues.  I was hoping someone could answer.

Monday, February 12, 2018 6:01 PM

All replies

• Brett,

First, there is no Project 2018, at least not yet. I'll assume you mean Project 2016. Regardless of your version, is it fully updated?

What exactly do you mean, "...my project estimates it as 448 hours"? Are you saying you have estimated 448 work for the task perhaps based on some previous historical data, or what?

What exactly are your "...entered in calculations..."?

When you say "...once leveled..." does that mean you have resource overallocation and are therefore using Project's leveling feature? If not, what does it mean?

Also, please explain the "...friends with the same entered information...".

I'm afraid your description begs more questions than it does provide useful information. If you can clarify with more succinct detail and if possible, a screen shot, then we have a much better chance of helping you sort it out.john

Monday, February 12, 2018 6:47 PM
  • Brett - Your understanding is correct but I agree with John that more information is needed.  A cursory review of your calculation would mean there are 32 hours difference.  4 people on 8 hour shifts appears to be the culprit.  So somewhere someone or something is set to something other than default.  Are any of the resource on the task set to 50% utilization?  Did you inherit this project?  Can you recreate this behavior with a brand new blank project?  Provide some more info and we are happy to help.

JH Blake

Monday, February 12, 2018 8:18 PM
  • I used your example,made a task with 15 days duration, assigned 4 resources, and got this answer as expected.

So, whatever way you are doing it, try something else.

I suspect that you are adding or subtracting resource units after the first assignment.

Task Name Work Duration Start Finish Predecessors Resource Names
    Project1 480 hrs 15 days 13/02/18 05/03/18
       15 Days Task 480 hrs 15 days 13/02/18 05/03/18 1,2,3,4

Monday, February 12, 2018 11:39 PM