none
SharePoint 2013 App Model Setup

Question

• We are deploying the app model to our on prem install.

We currently have 3 web applications that will need access to the app store.

Each web app is load balanced and has a host header entry with AAM setup to route it to the web app.

My question is regarding how to setup the alias.  Our sharepoint dns entries are setup like this: app1.domainA.com, app2.comainA.com, etc.   We will setup a new domain called spsapps.com for the app model.  When the cname is created (I'm not the admin for that) how should the request look for the target host?

Zone name: spsapps.com

Cname:

Alias name: *

fully qualified domain name: *.spsapps.com

FQDN for target host: is it just domainA.com

Monday, April 17, 2017 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi ldervin,

What the wildcard CNAME record is doing is directing any traffic that goes to somerandomurl.spsapps.com (app domain) towards domainA.com (the SharePoint site’s FQDN).

There are some articles about configuring an app model in SharePoint 2013, you can take a look at:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161236.aspx

http://blog.fpweb.net/how-to-configure-dns-and-ssl-for-sharepoint-2013-apps/#.WPbH54iGOM8

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:28 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Yes, I understand the concept, but my question is I have multiple SharePoint DNS entries in my environment.  Does it matter which FQDN I use for the target host or do I have to setup a wild card CNAME for each one? I have 5 web apps, each with their own FQDN for load balancing.  My load balanced DNS entries are like this:

• portal.domainA.com  portal site collection
    • teamsites.domainA.com uses multiple site collections
    • mySites.domainA.com uses multiple site collections

Each of those entries then map to a web application via the AAM.

We want the users to be able to use the app store on more than one web application.  If I setup the CNAME to point to portal.domainA.com, will the app store be available for teamsites.domainA.com as well?

• Edited by ldervin Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Hi ldervin,

As each web application has a host header, you need to create a wildcard CNAME record for each host header of each web application if you want to use the app store on all web applications.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:06 AM